Free e-book discussing the C Standard

All,

Those embedded developers who have yet to fork out $18 for a copy of the C Standard can search for material in the C Standard (at least you will be once google gets around to indexing it) here:

A detailed analysis is provided in my book "The New C Standard: An economic and cultural commentary". The complete book is available as a freely downloadable pdf (8M byte). You can download a copy from one of:

The material also includes a significant amount of discussion on coding guidelines. In particular it attempts to use the results of cognitive psychology studies to suggest and/or reject coding guidelines (ie, the human factors of programming).

Other book material, and some subsets of it (including just the coding guideline subsections), can be found at:

You can get the background here:

Derek M Jones

Thanks you

Reply to
rbtripathi

Derek,

Thanks for the book - I have downloaded it and read the first few pages when I should really have been doing something else.

I look forward to reading more of it later.

Very sorry you didn't get it published - it was obviously a lot of effort and certainly appreciated by me if not by your publisher.

Michael Kellett

Reply to
MK

I DL'ed the book the other day, but didn't look at the file until now. It's, uh, bigger than I thought (about an order of magnitude larger than the K&R), but apparently covers a lot more than just the C standard.

Slashdot now has a story on this book:

and links to this article about the book:

Fortunately, the slashdot article and comments and the story are much shorter than the book itself.

-----

Ben Bradley

In article , Ben Bradley writes

It would be. K&R 2nd Ed covers C90. C99 is about twice the size and this book contains ALL of it. Then add in annotations and other stuff.

Yes it does. A lot of it is useful in general and not C specific. Some of it is on the way we program (in any language)

So far I understand that it has been downloaded about 100 times in last week. As 1000 odd is considered a success in technical publishing I think it is doing well. I am sure that more people have it than have download it from Dereks site. (there are a couple of mirrors as well). So it looks like Derek will be vindicated!

By making it free I don't think Derek has lost much in cash terms. You don't get rich as a writer of books, you do it for the fame, the women, the goats and that warm feeling of seeing your name in the flickering lights (when they burn the reminders :-)

I think this PDF will become one of The Standards for some time to come. Download it before ISO/BSI et-al wake up to the fact the C standard is available for FREE and change the rules retrospectively.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris Hills

Derek M Jones schrieb:

Thank you, Derek! You have done a great favour to the software development community. Best wishes, Dirk

Reply to
Dirk Zabel