Proto board manufactueres that do **THICK** Boards

Hi, anyone had any good (or bad) experience with proto board sources that can do 8mm (5/16") thick boards?

I've got one quote, but it seems pretty high- and I'm not that impressed with the (US based) middleman for the PRC factory.

Quality is important, quantity is small (less than 100in^2 for starters).

Thanks for any leads..

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Just checked the EuroCircuits web-site and noted that the thickest they have in their on-line calculator is 3.2mm thick. They have a wide range of techniques they can use (including printed circuits on metal substrates) so perhaps a phone call and a chat with them might get you closer to what you are after. The company facilities are head-quartered in the Netherlands.

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-510979
Paul E Bennett

MyroPCB can do 6mm and so far I was pleased with them. Might be worth asking them about an 8mm spec:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Out of curiosity, what's the problem that an 8mm thick board will solve? Supplementary question: could the problem be solved faster/cheaper than with an 8mm board?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

We mostly use advanced circuits.

Well 1/4"... maybe if you got 8 oz of copper on one side it would get near 5/16" :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Thanks, Joerg, I'll give them a try.

Best regards,

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Physical strength.

No, I don't think so.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 15:40:06 +0100, Tom Gardner Gave us:

The only thing I can think of for such a need would be strictly for structural integration. A thing normally supported by chassis elements.

Backplanes are thicker so they can remain rigid with a bunch of circuit cards hanging on them. A gravity consideration, one supposes, as they do not make top load chassis at that form factor as a rule. Tiny versions of a VAX are top load, however. Think of the miniaturized military computers in use. Here is a very old version, the form factor of which is still in use today.

Careful as this guy has his volume up pretty high...

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I've seen a backplane/motherboard that used a relatively thick circuit board (like 2 or 2.5 mm), backed up with literal power rails on the back - a stamped piece of metal about 1 mm x 10 mm, with the narrow side to the board, and a "foot" every 20 mm or so that soldered to the board. These were partly for reinforcement and partly to carry the high-current power supplies.

Would something like that work?

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds