That nice Sony company

Agreed! Unfortunately the movie and music associations wield a heavy hand and seem able to get Congress to make this crap into law, then all manufacturers will be doing it :-(

Even my ancient (about 10 years) JVC stuff is rigged to prevent recording from CD-to-tape.

...Jim Thompson

annoying

What's that all about?

John

I found that all the Word, Excel, etc files that I have ever created for home use can be contained on a single 256-MByte USB flash necklace.

And yes, it's backed up.

Reply to
Richard Henry

You know full well that, except for defense and economics (and maybe not SO much on the economics) I'm quite Libertarian.

I'm for as little government as possible.

But I'm disinclined to the CONSTANT backbiting that the Dems are into ;-)

It's done somehow in the electronics... you can't select CD-line-out and tape-in at the same time.

Sort of moot now... most everything can play CD's... even my pickup truck, so I just make CD-to-CD copies ;-)

...Jim Thompson

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Hi John,

I've been trying to Google the web page that I've seen that has detailed instructions, but so far I haven't been successful. However, the program you're after is one that's run from the registry as a startup program. If you run MSConfig (or RegCleaner) and click on the Startup tab, look for the programs that are in directories that have "Sony" in the path... the program you're after is something like "ibevtutil"??? and won't have any other obvious function. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll keep digging (I don't have my own VAIO here at work -- with it I could do a little more checking).

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Sorry, I dont really know enough about the *nix world, appart from trying Ununtu and knoppix

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Yep. I vaguely remember hot-wiring it once, but I can't recall how I did it now... having no need. But I think it had something to do with simply pulling out the "AV CompuLink" cables, killing communication between the modules.

...Jim Thompson

They should never have bought that record company- the evil has infected them.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Thanks!

I've recently been given the name of a highly-recommended acupuncturist by an oriental friend.

...Jim Thompson

Sounds like a pretty crappy OS. What is it?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yeah. Invigorating. In Minnesota, we used to rationalize living in the cold by saying, "It keeps the riffraff out." ;-)

Snow was fun, back when Mom bundled you up and had hot cocoa for you, and Dad started the car and got it warmed up and all that schtuff - but I guess I've been spoiled for the cold - it gets down to the mid-50's here nowadays at night (so. Cal) and I have to bundle up and turn on the heat.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Have you tried acupuncture for that? 'Cause, well, you never know... (there have been reports of remarkable success, albeit anecdotal.)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

[snip]

By not providing a path from CD analogue output to cassette input in the selector switching. Obviously, you can fix that, so it was probably only a ploy to stave off lawsuits. Unlike the unfixable gizmos buried in chips.

John Woodgate

Yet another reason why I own absolutely _no_ Sony product.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Do you run Windows? If so, why?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

This could be a _very_ interesting experiment, if we can put it in the context of the investigation of alternative whaddayacallits. :-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I was talking to a service tech today. I have to buy this really expensive PC beacuse i need the particular video chipset because my OS wont support any others. It was not windows.

Yawn...

Reply to
The Real Andy

Lol, and you think Sony is the only one? I pity all that think this.

BTW, you think if linux (or dos or any OS) was as commercially successful as windows this would not happen?

Reply to
The Real Andy

Well if the chipset datasheets are only available under NDA, then that pretty much precludes being supported by open source OSs. On the other hand, the chipset makers who have openly published the datasheets for their chips will get marginally more sales, because people like you and me will have to buy their products.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones