Testing the Dealextreme ET411 GPS module

Color can be used to *enhance* information/content. But, can't be relied upon to convey information.

A bright red display saying "reactor core meltdown imminent" is not acceptable -- it relies on the user seeing the "redness" as being significant. Instead, you add "DANGER" to the message text in such a way that *it* stands out in the same way that color would (to a color-sensitive person).

If it *adds* information, then it is being misused. Imagine if I annotated each part number with a description IN CANTONESE! It clearly "adds information" that isn't (immediately) present in the part number, itself. But, that information would only be available to an individual who could "perceive" cantonese!

Chances are, your resistors are drawn differently than your capacitors. And, they probably have a different designator namespace (e.g., Rxxx vs. Cxxx). So, if you chose to display resistors in red and caps in blue, you haven't ADDED any information to the schematic. You've just made it easier to spot R's and C's "quickly".

Likewise, presenting power signals in a different color. Or "busses", etc. You use color to REDUNDANTLY convey information that is already present on the schematic.

Stop signs have a different shape and color from yield signs. But, this is all redundant information. Look at the shape of the sign and you know its content. Look at the text on the sign and you know its content. Even the

*color* gives you a good idea of content (all cautionary signs are yellow).

If color *added* information, then put a red sign of indeterminate shape on a stick and it would mean "stop".

They aren't "keywords" in the sense that you are (probably) thinking. Structured documents impose/enforce constraints on "what can be where" (within the document).

E.g., a "revision number" can only exist within a "part definition".

You couldn't, for example, have a part's *description* appearing outside of the context of the *part* itself.

Or, a "quantity" appearing at some random place on a part's list (quantities are tied to "line items" and only make sense in that context).

If you see a "number" printed on a page, you can't tell if it has been *tagged* as a "quantity", "revision number", or "part number" -- without looking at the actual *tags* that encase it.

OTOH, if you opt to *show* a particular tag in a particular color, you've redundantly conveyed that information in a different form. So, if a "line item" in a part list doesn't have a "red" number where the quantity is expected, I know that my "DTD" (the thing that defines the structure of that type of document) is defective -- since it shouldn't

*allow* anything other than a "quantity" to sit in that spot!

background),

That means I can't use that "tool" in any environment other than the one in which those colors "make sense". Imagine ONLY being able to watch movies on a display that had the right color capabilities, aspect ratio, physical size, resolution, etc.

spell words,

look

You would be surprised at how newbies do things!

Some years ago, I was involved in the design of a color printer. One of the questions we addressed early on was "what do we mean by 'color'?" Were we trying to print color photographs? Or, "marketing presentations"? Or, PCB artwork proofs??

The needs for each application domain are very different. And, the price points for each *target* differ widely!

I, for example, would much prefer having the ability to make C size drawings in "a few distinct colors" -- even if I have limited control over those colors (much like the pen plotters of old). A and B size drawings I would like to be able to reproduce in a greater variety of colors -- but, probably wouldn't care if those were "true" (to some calibrated norm) colors. Finally, I would like to be able to produce small "photo-sized" documents with *calibrated* color accuracy.

These are all consequences on the types of things for which I use those "hard copies". A professional photographer would have a different set of criteria. And, a different *budget* for each of them! (I'd rather compromise on the large format prints in favor of a new 'scope; he might prefer a fancier printer since he's already made his "investment" in his ideal camera body, etc.)

The other problem with "cheap color" is that it starts to lose its impact. You see things in red frequently and soon red gets treated as a different shade of BLACK! :<

There's a fair bit of art/science involved in the *effective* use of color. And "whitespace". And typefaces. And...

Have a look at the sales literature that ends up in your mailbox each day. Or the political propaganda. Or, the colors that businessmen and politicians wear. etc. These are all very conscious choices made (to influence and/or manipulate). Almost invariably with the viewer being ignorant of the effects these things are *designed* to have on him/her! :>

Reply to
Don Y

My first examination doesn't seem to show me any way to insert anything other than "text". I.e., it appears to create the video from text+font and inject it as needed. But, I will have to dig deeper. As I said, this is a new area for me to explore...

No, licensed originals. But, I look at expenses for tools in a very simple cost-benefit analysis: how many billable hours do I need to pay for that tool (taking into account tax writeoffs) and how many hours is it likely to save me (or, how much *better* will the quality of my "output" be).

So, a few kilobucks for a good CAD system "upgrade" turns into "accounting noise" -- though I'm not likely to change vendors for *any* amount of money unless there is some DRIVING reason to do so! (since I will still have to keep the "old vendor" product around to support legacy products)

OTOH, I am much more resistant to hardware purchases -- mainly because they "take up space" :> E.g., I am more likely to put a couple TB drives in a machine than to buy ANOTHER soldering station (esp if the "old one" still works well!)

recourse,

I find many Windows based tools to be *the* (practical) state of the art. And, definitely more affordable than on some other OS's (some of which are probably doomed to "deprecated" status).

And, if you are working with others who have "decided" on particular tools or file formats, it is often the least painful (and, therefore, most *affordable*) option.

OTOH, I will have no part in the typical "office" documents (whether from MS, Corel, OpenOffice, etc.). There's just no "value" there, IMO. ("You want to give me a copy of this MSWord document? Great! Make me a PDF and I'll have a look at it...")

I learned that the trick to all MS OS's is to take snapshots of the installation process and archive them. Later, when you want to "reinstall", you simply copy the snapshot back onto the machine and install whatever apps you *now* want to support on top of that.

I have a box of 80G bare SATA drives on which I keep the "images" (snapshots) for each of the machines, here. Restoring the image of the OS plus some "key" applications/utilities (e.g., TweakUI, SysInternals Suite, etc.) takes about 10 minutes.

I've found this invaluable -- especially when I have installed an "update" of "something" and decided it was a *mistake* to do so (i.e., the older version was more to my liking or more reliable).

[I make detailed notes of the steps I take to install the various applications on each machine so I can repeat them at a later date -- all of the licensing information, where I put the files in the filesytem, changes I made to the Start Menu along the way, etc. So, if I want to reinstall those applications -- or some subset of them -- I don't have to think about *how* to do it.]
Reply to
Don Y

That depends on your definition of "relied upon"? For the entire population? No, but then the entire population can't read, either. Some can't even see, so I guess text "can't be relied upon", either.

What if the operator is blind or illiterate (Springfield ring a bell ;)?

Nonsense.

Is Japanese close enough? ;-)

To the Chinese it adds information, yes. Would you expect them to label their schematics in French?

If I add comments in blue, it certainly adds information. If the pins are in blue, wires in white, and unconnected points in red, it certainly adds information.

The information is in the database but not necessarily shown on the schematic.

Yes, but the damned words are written in English! Think of all the illegals who have to try to obey the signs!

The strawman continues...

IF isn't a programming keyword? Wow!

?

Why not, as long as it's referenced somehow.

On that absurdity, it's time for dinner.

Reply to
krw

For the population intended to be *viewing* the object.

Does your employer require technicians and engineers to pass a color-blindness test? Is it a condition of employment? Is it grounds for *dismissal*? (for those job descriptions)

Fly an aircraft and they want to be sure you have 20/20 vision. Carry boxes for UPS and they don't care too much about your vision (as long as it can be *corrected* to 20/20 -- if you are driving a delivery van) -- but, they want to make sure you can lift 70 pounds, "safely". Dig ditches and they probably don't care about any of the above (nor how good your grasp of The Language might be!).

Don't be silly.

Again, don't be silly.

on

You persist in being silly.

For a document intended to be viewed by sighted English speaking (reading) individuals having high school educations or better, aware of the terminology used in describing electronic devices and in schematic representations thereof with adequate reading vision corrected for astigmatism, yadayada... information conveyed

*solely* in chinese (or french or braille or...) is obviously not available to the INTENDED VIEWER. So, using chinese (or any other technology not comprehensible to that target audience) is "wrong" (or obfuscatory, at best). Why bother including it? (unless you also have an additional audience that *can* perceive those forms)

If the comments were in *black* (along with everything else), would they suddenly be unrecognizable as comments? Would they suddenly turn into "pin numbers"? Or "device designators"? Or "signal names"?? I.e., if you ran the schematic through a monochrome photocopier, would it become USELESS? If *not*, any information that retains it's meaning in the absence of that coloring proves the *redundant* nature of that use of color!

You couldn't recognize the wires *as* wires otherwise? Nor the pins as pins? Unconnected points that were NOT in red would suddenly become CONNECTED points??

That's a different *document*, isn't it?! Perhaps the folks intended to view *that* document are fluent in Cantonese!

That;s why information is conveyed REDUNDANTLY. Can't read English? Can you perceive RED? No? How about this characteristic octagonal shape??

Actually, "if" is only a "programming keyword" in some languages (e.g., not LISP -- but Common LISP does; not APL, PostScript). And, it is only a keyword in certain contexts -- i.e., within a string literal "if" is just "two particular characters".

Would a revision number make sense right *here* in this document? What would it apply to?? Could I have *two* of them, side by side?

A structured document defines "what can go where". From this definition, information can be *mechanically* extracted from the document without requiring that tool to "understand what it is reading".

E.g., a part list "document" consists of one or more s. A consists of a followed by a followed by, perhaps, optional s and/or . A *machine* can verify (and enforce) the fact that this form has been adhered to. That there are no s that are missing s, etc.

All of this is preceded by some definition of how the to which the list applies is specified, perhaps the the document was created/revised, , etc.

The whole point of structured documents is exactly that!

*This* applies to *this* part having *this* !

What would the "23" apply to, right *here*?? If this was a structured document, it would be prohibited here "as a quantity". The designer of the document would have said "it makes no sense to have a at this point in this

*type* of document -- it doesn't apply to anything!". OTOH, it could be perfectly legal as a random bit of text.

So, if text was displayed blue and was displayed as red (for example), seeing red here would tell me that there was something wrong with the document's structure definition since the definition was supposed to preclude s, here.

Reply to
Don Y

advantage.

The population of engineers and programmers is overwhelmingly color sighted.

No, but they *are* handicapped if they can't see color, as they are in the rest of their lives.

Nonsense. Corrected vision is plenty good enough.

Same with pilots. Are you really that out of touch?

Ah, so the color blind are only good for digging ditches?

You started it. ...only returning the favor.

Again, you started it.

on

add

Again, you're the one persisting.

May I remind you that *YOU* brought up Cantonese?! What a pot!

Talk about silly! Let me know when you come back to Earth.

It shows the point where the wire connects to the pin. It *is* information.

NO! The schematic is only one view of (a subset of) the database!

You're talking about HUMAN SAFETY CRITICAL INFORMATION. Not all information is such. Color is often used to convey information that is not SAFETY CRITICAL. Have you ever seen a color television? How about a color photograph. You don't agree that there is information there that's not in a B&W picture? You're an odd duck!

Now you're just being stupid. Some languages have no keywords, therefore keywords don't exist?

Perhaps, if it said "Schematic Revision 1.2". It's better if it's put in a standard place, but it will still say something like "Revision 1.2".

That's enough of this silliness.

Reply to
krw

On a sunny day (Sun, 20 May 2012 16:06:07 -0700) it happened Don Y wrote in :

Exactly, because you are using closed source feature limited expensive crap.

If you REALLY had a look at my website you would see all the tools to do it are there.

You have no benefit as your tools cannot do it. You obviously cannot write the tools, and maybe not even understand the code. You do not want to examine and learn to use the open source Linux tools. That leaves you empty handed and without any power to do the jobs the fantasies present to you, say your pipedreams. Thats is a situation where many money making companies step in, you have to hire somebody to do that job. After you have payed them the cost-benefit will be a zillion times worse than you can imagine, as you cannot even estimate if your pipe dreams can be realized. This is the world today: Top down approach, somebody has some idea, and a zillion dollars later the project is scrapped. Often not because it could not be done for a few hundred dollars, but because they ran out of dollars.

Personally I find writing applications is more fun than re-installing crap or bloatware.

Yesterday I wrote the temperature and pressure sensor software for the altitude meter. The sensor board has not even arrived yet. Next is the compass driver. Those modules then fit into the GPS flight controller software.

I lost a bid on a flight computah on ebay in the last 30 seconds to an unexpected high bidder, lost some seconds grabbing the calculator to see if it was worth getting higher. the bidding ended. I have concluded the 'hours left' counter on ebay runs fast (double checked against GPS time). So now I am looking for an other flight computah (to run my soft on).

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Until a few days ago, I wasn't even aware of (nor concerned with!) the actual implementation involved! It seemed appropriate to imagine that there was a character generator *in* the DVD player that extracted "text" from a subchannel in the video stream in much the same way that closed captioning is done, here.

As a result, I never even considered "misappropriating" this mechanism for other uses.

Wow, and you came to that conclusion, how? I wasn't aware that you were familiar with my employment history, skillset/toolset, level of education, etc. I can write a video CODEC but can't understand something that puts bitmaps into a file? Seems like a big assumption on your part...

fantasies present to you,

You appear to approach problems by *tinkering* with technologies. I prefer to *understand* the technology before "playing with it". Playing with tools without understanding the technology leaves you a slave to the capabilities and limitations of those tools. Understanding what the technology is capable of allows you to imagine what you *could* do and how to go about getting tools to facilitate that.

The tools are the easy part of the equation. Understanding what you might want to do with them is where the thinking comes in.

bloatware.

I find neither to be "fulfilling" -- though both can be essential.

I want to SOLVE PROBLEMS in interesting/value-added ways. If that means I have to build a tool THAT I CAN'T *BUY*, then so be it. OTOH, I would much rather spend my time designing a "network video client" than writing a tool to encode images in DVD subchannels. Or, exploring how to better predict completion times of long running algorithms. Or, anticipate power requirements for certain "tasks".

These are the sorts of things I am *not* going to find "on a shelf" waiting for purchase. And, largely as a consequence of that, are far more likely to prove to be "interesting" as well as "ripe for adding value".

altitude meter.

unexpected high bidder,

higher.

against GPS time).

Reply to
Don Y

On a sunny day (Mon, 21 May 2012 14:13:13 -0700) it happened Don Y wrote in :

Based on the very limited understanding you have of the DVD standard.

What codec?

fantasies present to you,

Technology is a tool, I use it for a purpose. For example before we did the digital subtitle thing I did it in analog video using teletext chips (that is why I pointed to taht on my webpage).

You contradict yourself. If that is what you *preferred* you would have read up on the DVD standard, understood it, and saved everybody a lot of time.

Sorry, I agree with zzzzzz get a life.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje