Testing the Dealextreme ET411 GPS module

Hi Don,

(female voice) "Enter destination" "D, please". (female voice) "Turn LEFT at H." (female voice) "Turn left, now." (female voice) "Proceed 100 feet to destination on right." (female voice) "Arriving at destination"

From the link: "Unfortunately, there is no easy way to reach the Sign itself, which is located atop an undeveloped hillside, far from roads." Thats utter nonsense! Everyone knows you can teleport to that hillside in Twisted Metal (Head On)! Heck, you can even CRASH into it!! :> (I should verify that... maybe tonight)

Reply to
Don Y

What's a kern?

Reply to
John S

The word kern is a cognate of corner.

hamilton

Paraphrasing John Parker: "Gooood, what is a cognate?"

("I'm a diplomat! I failed flight school!")

I guess you have to have a sufficiently warped sense of humor... :-/

Reply to
Don Y

See link on posted "kerning" page.

Reply to
hamilton

Hi Don,

Understood. You missed the humor. :>

Reply to
Don Y

For a general idea, see:

In particular, the top left corner of the page (zoom!) and the second column in table 4.

One reason you never seem to have *enough* fonts :-/

Reply to
Don Y

transparency, color.

OK. A bit of googling and I stumbled on a page describing how to *extract* subtitles. And, apparently, this involves looking at that "subimage" and applying an OCR algorithm to the image that it encounters, there. This is consistent with your description.

Now, I need to see if my DVD authoring tools will let me create

*images* using that "subtitle stream" (or, if they are just restricted to text)

Understood. I'm just trying to think of what I can do without by *not* using it for "rendered text". The fact that it can be turned on and off... and, that the user can select between different "languages" (which, presumably, are just different subimage streams) seems ripe for exploitation :>

Reply to
Don Y

Some times I'm slow, the rest of the time I don't catch on at all.

I don't get it.

Reply to
hamilton

Sorry, the humor was in the *reference* (you'd have had to have seen the flick previously to notice that reference). It's the sort of thing that loses any semblance of humor when "explained".

Kinda like "Shirley you don't think that he's guilty?!"

Reply to
Don Y

On a sunny day (Sat, 19 May 2012 20:23:13 -0700) it happened Don Y wrote in :

Do you run Linux? It is almost a must. There are many program in Linux that allow you to rip subs from DVDs. I think mplayer can even do it. An other very good one is 'transcode'. There is dvdauthor, and dvdwizard. Format conversions: ffmpeg Mpeg2 encoder and YUVtools: mjpegtools, The guy who wrote 'dvdwizard' (creates a DVD automatically) wrote it in bash as script and uses 'imagemagick' throughout to make the thumbnails for the buttons, put the text on those, backgrounds, everything, then generates xml format for 'dvdauthor' that then uses 'mjpegtools's mplex' to make a VOB that you can then burn to DVD with 'growisofs', and verify byte for byte with 'dvdimagecmp'.

All open source and free, to get similar capability in MS windows you need to spend a small fortune, get no source code, no bug fixes, and usually even a subset of what can be done.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 19 May 2012 09:31:10 -0700) it happened Don Y wrote in :

When programming (in for example 'C'), many text editors use color to highlight syntax.

I think it is wrong, I cannot work with it, not only reduces it contrast (for example I always use black text on a white background), if you say use green for comments the contrast reduces from 0/100 % to 59/100 (R,G,B are like .3,.59,.11 in luminance for us (from color teafee). Just as bad as blue text on a black background. I need contrast, because I do not spell characters when reading, do not spell words, but read programming sections as complete blocks. This is hard to explain, but I read usenet the same way. Formatting of programming text is very important to me, often I reformat whole pieces of other's code just so that I can see in one look what it does. And if you use color in any of that it simply is eye strain.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 19 May 2012 14:12:15 -0700) it happened Don Y wrote in :

Then new Russian jet did judt that last week. I bet there was nobody in the cockpit, and everybody in the back partying, and on auto pilot:-) Flew right into a mountain at 900 mph. :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Didn't know the Ruskies were doing the SST thing again. ;-)

Reply to
krw

No. Though I run NetBSD (i.e., anything with sources available I can usually port -- if need be).

I'm not really interested in ripping subtitles. I just made that observation based on a google hit.

I am more interested in *generating* imagery to fill that subchannel on the medium. As I say, I know my tools can do this with *text* "images". I just don't know about OTHER images (since it is an atypical way of using that feature of the medium!)

buttons,

done.

A lot of tools are actually very inexpensive. But, many people seem to be "allergic" to the concept of spending money for software. :>

I use open source tools when they are available and of sufficient quality -- I don't want to waste lots of *time* trying to save a few dollars.

Reply to
Don Y

I don't use color in *products* just because too many people (mostly *men*!) have some form of colorblindness (I think it's 1:15 so about 7%... a pretty large number!).

In *tools*, I tend to avoid it simply because it doesn't add much value, for me. "Yes, I know 'while' is a keyword. No need to display it in red, thankyou. And, yes, I realize all those green letters are in a string. Can we please get them back to the normal foreground color? ..."

OTOH, in the documents I make for myself, I tend to use color to make it easy to identify special objects so they are easy to find/verify "with (SGML) tags turned off". [reading something with tags *on* is almost impossible as the tags just keep getting in the way of your comprehension.]

background),

The other problem is that it complicates using those features in other environments. I.e., if I set the "*background" resource to a pale yellow, the colors chosen for the syntax highlighter might "be worse" -- if they were chosen with a while background in mind.

words,

look

I think a lot of folks (ab)use color in much the same way that they abuse "fonts" in documents. Just because you *can* do something (use lots of different fonts; use lots of different colors) doesn't mean you *should*.

OTOH, it's a boon for some users. E.g. black on yellow or white on black are often good for folks with visual impairments (coupled with a change in display font size).

Reply to
Don Y

It doesn't stop them from living. The other 93% use color to good advantage. I do believe color televisions are quite popular, even in that 7%.

It adds a lot of value for me. You turn off color on schematics? We can't print color from schematics (really dumb software) but it's sure put to use on displays. I also prefer formatted program listings, with color. It does add information.

How are keywords different? Color also shows lost punctuation rather clearly.

background),

So don't do that!

words,

look

I don't think anyone is advocating using the entire palette in a memo.

Red tends to get management's attention, too. ;-)

Reply to
krw

On a sunny day (Sun, 20 May 2012 10:02:44 -0700) it happened Don Y wrote in :

Well try it.

Illegal copies? It is criminal what MS asks for a 10 cent (they probably pay less) copy of a rotten feature limited bloated buggy OS. I don't use their crap, I have burned my copy of Xp, and make a video from it. That video is available for 100 Euro, you need to glue a sticker on your PC if you buy it that shows you payed for it, have no rights, if it does not play or damage your hardware you have no recourse, and simply by reading the label you agree to pay me a million bux if you cannot produce proof of purchase at any time, even in your sleep.

No, I wrote most DVD stuff myself, build upon code from others too. And use some great stuff written by many others, And, gained in depth understanding of the subject, do not have to buy upgrades, as I can just keep adding the features I need, and it helped many people too.

I found I wasted lot of time trying to re-install Xp, that is why I burned it. most applications I tried were of equal or less rotten quality as Xp.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 20 May 2012 10:12:25 -0700) it happened Don Y wrote in :

I worked many years in color TV studio, one engineer there ( I knew this, we were in same classes) was color blind. I always wondered hoe he managed to keep it secret. Maybe SOME of those programs ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Decades ago (USA), driver exams tested for color with a "traffic light": "What color is the light?" Of course, everyone knows the middle is yellow so its just a matter of being sure about the two "ends".

My father (R-G color blind) *knew* color based solely on position. His "examiner" (tester?) suspected this was the case and turned the light on its side (while he was not watching). At that point, it was a 50-50 chance. As a result, he ended up with a vision restriction on his eyeglasses.

In my case, I was shown the "circular field of multicolored dots" and asked "what number (digit) do you see". But, unlike these plates used in a *series*, this *single* plate incorporated several *different* images -- each in a different "color" (which would otherwise be identified incrementally using a *set* of plates that focused on one color aspect at time). So, having normal vision (and an above average pattern recognition ability!), I replied, "What digit do you *want* me to see??"

This upset the examiner (typical DMV civil servant) who was quick to suggest *failing* me on the vision test! Realizing this, I rattled off: "I see a blue 3, a red 5, a yellow 2, a green 6, ..." which, apparently, was enough to convince her that I didn't have a problem with color! :-/

I mentioned this bit of trivia (1:15 males being color blind, in some way) to a neighbor responsible for curriculum planning in the local school district. She refused to believe it! After all, that suggest one boy in each classroom would (statistically) have that problem! Something that would CLEARLY need to be reflected in the choice of teaching materials used! ("OK, class, how many RED balls in this picture? Very good! And how many BLUE balls? Excellent!")

Apparently she participated in some forum (somewhere) in which she later raised this issue -- in disbelief (looking to discredit my facts). And, was *stunned* to hear that this was, in fact, a common problem ("Um, and where, exactly, did you receive your credentials from???")

Reply to
Don Y