ir receiver module, testing and identifying

I have a Onkyo TX-8211. It's become unresponsive to both the factory remote and a universal remote that was programmed to control it. I popped it open to inspect the receiver module. I couldn't see any markings on it (without removing it from the pcb, anyway). I measured

5V on the supply line. On the output line I could see a digital signal that was about 120mV peak-to-peak when I sent an IR signal from one of the remotes.

Anyone know if this is typical of the output? Should the signal be larger? If the module needs to be replaced, how would I identify a replacement?

Since it is generating a signal I'm wondering if some other part has failed. There's an electrolytic cap wired to it, which I'm eying suspiciously.

Reply to
Brian

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 17:54:33 -0700 (PDT), Brian put finger to keyboard and composed:

AIUI, these modules produce TTL level outputs. Just be sure to use a pullup resistor on the output, as it may be open collector.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 19:00:07 +1000, Franc Zabkar put finger to keyboard and composed:

FWIW, here are datasheets for Sharp IR receiver modules:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar