dummy unit

Dummy unit for the I/O system or Dummy unit for the CPU system can somebody maybe explain what is dummy unit for? more about the context on

$file/0602EN51.pdf

thanks for your help

Reply to
Ryba

Ryba posted the question:

A dummy unit is the average poster on SED. Dummy units take up space, waste bandwidth, and are for creating discord.

Don

Reply to
Dbowey

No. A "dummy unit" is a student who can't at least craft a question so it makes sense. (And ask it in such a way that it's not obvious that it's a homework problem :)

...Jim Thompson

well actually im not a student, i'm trying to figure out how it can be called in Polish, so i have to understand what is it

thanks for help

Reply to
Ryba

This is a modular system. You buy the basic case and you can fill it as required with the units you need.

The case provides space for 2 CPU units. If you only need a single CPU, you just buy 1 CPU unit and 1 dummy CPU. This fills the area that would otherwise leave a hole and can easily been swapped for an extra CPU when required in the future. The ratio is, that a dummy is much cheaper as a real unit.

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

thanks !!! i have one more question "terminal base unit" it also can be found in pdf file, does this mean "base unit of terminals", "unit of base terminals", " or "unit of bases of terminals"? (well i think its 3 option, but im not sure)

Reply to
Ryba

They mean the physical place where you actually make the connections to the unit.

First you select an IO unit to match the things you actually want to measure (electrical part) and then you choose the I/O terminal base unit to fit the wires to (mechanical part).

(At least, that's what I read into it :-)

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

so base is just kind of cocket or connector?

Reply to
Ryba

No, not really.

Maybe an example will clarify: Say, you have to mount 20 sockets onto a concrete wall. You could drill 40 holes into the wall, 2 for each socket. Or you could drill just 4 holes into the wall, use them to fix a piece of wood to the wall and just screw the sockets onto the wooden panel. In this case, the wooden panel is used as a base.

When you select this controller, you first decide which kind of wire termination you want. Eg. if you want fuses for all incoming wires, you select 200-TBNF. This unit is then mounted to the rail, hence it's name 'base'. All wiring is connected to this base unit and this base unit connects to the IO modules and the system bus.

In industrial controllers, the wiring is usually the last thing you want to replace. Therefore, it is attached closest to the wall and to a unit that is as thumb as you can get. This will allow you to change the intelligent IO unit without rewiring.

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

Thanks again !!!