templates

anybody remember these? I actually used a couple today.

Bishop Graphics was the outfit we used to love to hate. Their stuff was the best and they were greedy evil predators.

I use the circle one in my wood shop all the time...

Reply to
DJ Delorie

mandag den 20. september 2021 kl. 22.32.30 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

I have these,

I also have some with circles, some with eclipses for making circles in isometric drawings and some for drawing state diagrams

haven't been used in probably +20 years

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I think I still have some generic drafting ones, possibly from Berol. What makes the Bishop ones the best?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Their pcb layout mylar-stick-on decals and tape were the best. But a sales guy would show up and say "Do you want your order of decals delivered? Then you had better buy all your blueline supplies from us."

CAD killed them and the specialized photographers like Lorry Ray.

Yep:

I agree with your opinion of Bishop Graphics.

More:

The silk screen was done with pen and ink on acetate or mylar. One slip of the pen, and it was ruined. I kept the templates, but tossed the PCB layout stuff a few years ago.

Hmm... looks like retro PCB layout is not quite dead yet:

Jeff Liebermann

Does anyone know whether it is possible to get letraset style rub-on lettering these days? I've seen some in craft stores but it is all artistic fancy shapes, not a normal font that you could use on a one-off front panel or modification to add a label where you have added a connector etc. to a box.

Reply to
Chris Jones

I haven't used them for many years and threw out my collection about

30 years ago. However, they still seem to be commonly available. Look for "dry transfer letters".

You can also make your own dry transfers:

using "dry transfer paper" or something similar:

Jeff Liebermann

We use laser printer peel/stick stock for quick labels.

And we have a couple of Dymo label maker machines. They start around $30.

Reply to
jlarkin

Yeah, those are ok and I have one, but I prefer the look of the Letraset because there is no rectangle of label film, just the letters on the original paintwork (and sone protective varnish over the letters themselves). Also the printer on my label maker has pretty poor resolution compared to Letraset.

Reply to
Chris Jones

Thanks, I must have used the wrong search terms. I'll see if I can find some in white. I like white letraset on black boxes.

Reply to
Chris Jones