Where to find 8-pin DIN 41524 plugs (for C64 video output)

Anyone know someone who can supply these?

Local electronics suppliers Jaycar and DS only have 41526 DINs.

John.

Reply to
John

Standard 180 degree five pin din plugs will work. I made lots of video cables for members of my Commodore club, about 20 years ago. Close to 100, because I only have a couple left from the case of 100.

Michael A. Terrell

You don't need 8 pin DIN, just use a 5 pin instead. In any case, I'm pretty certain I bought some 8 pin DIN plugs from Jaycar just recently...

Clocky

There are two types of 8 pin din plugs. The wrong one will break the video output connector on the C64 & 128 computer. They used the one the did so the power supply couldn't be plugged into the video connector. The proper 8 pin din has the outer pins in a 'u' shape, while the wrong is in a broken circle. The one on that page looks to be the wrong type.

Michael A. Terrell

pretty

Should you have the wrong plug, just clip the 2 NC (no connection) pins. At least that's what Raymond Carlsen suggests.

Reply to
rusure

That's what I did, or use a 5 pin plug - no probs.

Reply to
Clocky

Agreed. Quote from

:

--- This is a DIN41524 type ("262-degree") plug where pins 7 and 8 are "out of circle". On the more common DIN45326 type ("270-degree") plug, the seven outer pins form a circle, which is mechanically incompatible.

--- I hope this helps the original poster with finding the proper plugs.

Reply to
Joe Forster/STA

Not if you want to get s-video. And there are two types of 8 Pin din plugs, 41524 and 41526. The C64 takes

41524 (240 degree).
Reply to
John

No, wait, I'm wrong. the extra pins aren't needed.

Reply to
John

No, wait again, I'm right and wrong.

I need the central pin to get s-video, so I need at least 6 pins, but I can remove the extra pins on the 'wrong' 8 pin dins.

Reply to
John

Arrrg. I wanted these for a megadrive RGB cable as well, which does use the extra pins.

Reply to
John

So no-one makes them anymore?

Reply to
John

Fred Winter

Jeez, that brings back memories! Last time I needed to connect to a C64, I soldered a cable direct to the PCB.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

It is for this very reason that my 128 tower has RCA jacks on the back for S-Video and audio, just so I can use normal A/V cables for a change (I seem to have a habit of losing monitor cables).

I've had enough of this hassle of trying to find some weird connector. ;)

Reply to
Vanessa Ezekowitz

Hrm. I couldn't possibly comment...

Ditto. A soldering iron fixes any of those kinds of problems.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

I will have 5 pin ones listed soon!

Enjoy!

Reply to
amigaguy

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I'm leery about paying $13.00 postage for a $2 part.

Reply to
John

$13 postage can't be right, I paid less then that for shipping 25 EPROMS from the US to AU.

Reply to
Clocky

That is how ebay works, Purchase price is their profit and "Postage" covers all their cost.

Reply to
terryc