Telephone dialing

10 pulses per second is standard, and as I recall it's 45% "make" and 55% "break". These are nominal. I can't recall what the tolerance is.

I do remember on the old crossbar switch that we were on that it would accept much faster dialing rates. We used to take our old 500 sets apart and oil the speed governor cup. Not quite as fast as DTMF, but close.

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

:

IME the timing tolerance is EXTREMELY wide. With a little practice anyone can pulse-dial using nothing but the hook switch.

But... if the loop resistance is unusually high, or the lineman's phone pulser contacts not so good, things could go out of whack.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Google does. Several, in fact.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Maybe it depends on location (in US) as it seems to work OK here (Portland OR).

Reply to
Robert Baer

uZxIUjQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.isomediainc...

,

his

and

=3D- Hide quoted text -

The Specifications chart at this link provides the pulse dialing timing tolerances for 10 and 20 pps signalling. Link:

$file/M959-R3.pdf

Reply to
mpm

FIOS equipment (aka ONT) still accepts pulse.

-- A host is a host from coast to snipped-for-privacy@nrk.com & no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433 is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

Reply to
David Lesher

That's amazing. So, obviously the FIOS equipment has an interface to a regular POTS type of phone, and if so must have a small ringing generator in it, too. Sheesh!

I think it's time for a new (digital) phone standard for these voip applications. No 52V battery - no loop current detector - no ring generator - no DTMF decoders...

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to
BobW

The problem is how you get everyone to replace their current equipment and, at least to some extent, the wiring -- despite the prominance of VoIP today, the vast majority of homes are wired for the old POTS (two-wire) standard; replacing all these (hundreds of millions) of phones and the associated infrastructure is not at all cheap!

Reply to
Joel Koltner

...no working phones during power failures...

Central office p;ower is very comforting.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(Who insisted that the FIOS installer leave the phone on copper)

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yep. But it's all local.

Seen Skype? For a while, I had Yahoo Voice, and it was great. Stopped needing it.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

:>> -- :>> A host is a host from coast to snipped-for-privacy@nrk.com :>> & no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX :>> Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433 :>> is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433 :>

:>

:> That's amazing. So, obviously the FIOS equipment has an interface to a :> regular POTS type of phone, and if so must have a small ringing generator in :> it, too. Sheesh! :>

:> I think it's time for a new (digital) phone standard for these voip :> applications. No 52V battery - no loop current detector - no ring :> generator - no DTMF decoders... :>

:> Bob : :...no working phones during power failures... : :Central office p;ower is very comforting. : :Cheers : :Phil Hobbs : :(Who insisted that the FIOS installer leave the phone on copper)

Yeh but! In Australia when the FTTH is completed all the dedicated telephone switching exchanges get decommissioned. I suppose all the copper will be pulled out and sold for scrap - should bring in squillions....

Reply to
Ross Herbert

We had it; it was ISDN. The Bells killed it off, for reasons too stoopid to discuss.

David Lesher

Yes, ISDN (Innovations Subscribers Don't Need, It Still Does Nothing, etc...) looked promising, but I think that people realized that 64 or

128kbps for data just wasn't going to cut it.

Perhaps there will be some VoIP phone standard someday to go along with the vendor-specific wireless, fiber, coax, or twisted pair interface box. However, as someone else pointed out, having someone else (the CO) provide always-there power and service is very reassuring. That's why I still have a POTS line. Having said that, keeping a cell phone with you always does seem like a good idea, too. It apparently saved at least one life in the tornado-stricken areas.

Bob