Tektronix has lost their minds

You do know that many Agilent scopes are re-labeled Rigol's, don't you?

--
Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group,
  return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

You are right about the spamming. Recently I looked something up on a TDS700 series scope and a few days later I got a call from the local Tektronix distributor asking whether I found what I was looking for...

My TDS510A also has that pseudo persistance (the previous trace in grey). For some measurements its a nice feature. Hitting one of the channel buttons makes the grey trace dissapear. Maybe it works on much newers scopes as well... I know it does on the TDS220.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Thats a weird statement. Agilent, Rigol and Tektronix have been in business long enough to figure out what their customers want in a scope and how it should work. I've used scopes from Agilent and Tektronix and I didn't find either difficult to use. Some are better than others though. For instance I wouldn't want to have a Tek TDS200, TDS1000 or TDS2000 series scope because of their ridiculously short memory.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

You could have said that about Tektronix and Agilent (then called HP) back in the late 1980's when we have to choose between a top end HP scope and it's Tektronix equivalent. the specifications were pretty much the same, but the Tek scope triggered lot more reliably on the signal edge that we actually wanted to look at. Both Tek and HP wanted the sale so we have both for trial periods of a couple of weeks. Nobody voted for the HP machine.

I've not used any of them ... in subsequent jobs, the choice always went for something cheap, but with a deep digital memory so that you could grab a couple of seconds worth of transient and look at it repeatedly in detail.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Agilent doesn't. Oh wait I think some of the software downloads require an account. But I have yet to be spammed by them.

Martin Riddle

I have found with USPS regulations that once you know them all, it starts to make a lot more sense. I guess this is true with most things in life. I was forced in an earlier life to review their regs for a reply postage permit.

That said, their site (heck, any site), could always be better.

At the moment, my personal favorites are sites that crash and burn (i.e., won't even open) in IE, but work just fine in Chrome, Firefox or Mozilla. I know IE is crap, or so I've heard - but it can't be that bad to code for IE.

I try to keep a few junk email accounts for web (managers, programmers, etc..) that insist on knowing data they really don't need to have, in exchange for stuff I'm surfing for. I strive to fill in the blanks for them when appropriate.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

There's some new 'software upgradable' Agilent 'scopes that look pretty nice.

Big display, and built in function generator (IIRC)

George H.

one: (928)428-4073

text -

Reply to
George Herold

I think Tek is loosing market share, that's why they are being more aggressive in obtaining sales contacts. Why let the customer go thru a dealer that has better deals than going direct to Tek ;)

Martin Riddle

2

I tried it with 1.5 ounces and 0.95 ounces, and I got $1.92 and $1.05. The only web page problem I encountered was that you must select one of the choices on this page for the pounds and ounces edit boxes to appear:

Maybe they read this and fixed it?

The weight information is sent to the last page and cost is calculated by a separate script:

Customs Form Indicator

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

If you like, you can just edit the URL and bypass the intermediate forms. So for 1 pound and 2.95 ounces:

2.95

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

Their low-end scope, the $995 one was, but I think, not 100% sure, that they aren't any more. Rigol is getting to be a serious competitor in scopes and spectrum analyzers and arbs.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Probably did; "not more than" is the wording.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Then program an error exception for the lawn..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Your describing a death spiral.

Reply to
krw

one: (928)428-4073

Use a DSO6000-series scope and you will change your mind in a hurry about that.

-- john

Reply to
jmiles

I have an MSO-X-3104 at work that's pretty nice.

Didn't see a need for a big display on the scope when you can just plug in a monitor. The function generator is nice but the serial analyzer is kinda weak. The I2S analyzer is really limited, though I don't see much on the market in this area that looks any better (maybe LeCroy, but that ain't happenin').

Reply to
krw

It has been that way for a while.

Here are some plans of attack, other than just telling Tek to fuckoff.

Maybe somebody already registered a fake email address there.

The drop down gun of the internet. Let them eat spam.

If you look like a search engine, websites get so excited that they drop their drawers for you. It doesn't always work, though it nearly always gets through newspaper paywalls.

Incidentally, you can surf the internet as a pathetic Iphone 3 and the websites may switch to a less cluttered page without flash adverts.

Reply to
miso

I have a Tek bench ball buster, but I got a Rigol for portable and lab use. I can't say I'm impressed with their software. I guess China is the land of 32 bit XP PCs. It wasn't exactly trivial to get Ultrascope working on win7 64 bit. I don't recall all the details since I did it some time ago, but it did involve finding 32 bit dlls to add to win7. And the software uses ActiveX. It was certainly a few hours of my time.

The scope itself is fine as a stand alone, just PC control is not so good.

Reply to
miso

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 15:49:36 -0800 Don Lancaster wrote in Message id: :

Opinions vary. I love my 54831B. The equivalent Teks from that era I dislike.

Reply to
JW

that

ll

I was at a meeting last summer and got to play a bit with a new (low end) Agilent. It's update rate (how long till a new screen appears) seemed to be much faster than the Rigol.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold