Taking back control of the flight computer ?

Okay. Here's a serious answer. If the DoD/NASA/FAA/DHS haven't convened classified panels to look at this issue, I'd be amazed.

If I had a good idea, believe me, I wouldn't be blathering it around here.

If someone is in a position to know what's been done, they're not in a position to talk about it.

Now, the amazing thing is that no one had thought the scenario through before 9/11, but they hadn't. If the government hasn't thought it through by now and taken steps to address the issue, we're in deep trouble.

If you think you've got a great idea, maybe you can get someone at DARPA or DHS to give you a hearing.

RM

Reply to
Robert Myers

This sounds like a complex answer to a simple problem. Plus, it presents the opportunity for hackers to take control of airplanes from a secure location. Gives a whole new meaning to the term "fly by wire" ;-)

Sean

Reply to
Sean Kelly

The next time someone tries it they will be beaten to death by the passengers. The cockpit doors are reinforced and the passengers will never again sit dociley by, believing promises of no harm if they co-operate and allow negotiations. See flight 93. Likewise, the pilots will not co-operate and will land at the first opportunity.

del cecchi

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn?t necessarily represent IBM?s positions,

Words fail me.

Mark

Reply to
redbelly

Pray that your ass isn't in the pilot's seat.

--
Regards
Alex McDonald

What technical means can be used to foil an attempt to get control of a passenger aircraft and to use it as a weapon of mass destruction certainly seems like an interesting and important question to ask, even if using the flight computer in the way proposed isn't likely to be all that interesting. And, whatever countermeasures you took, you surely wouldn't want to announce them to the world.

RM

Reply to
Robert Myers

Lol, nice spoof ! =D

Bye, The real Skybuck =D :P

:(((

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Come on guys,

This is a serious issue.

Somewhere in the future you might actually be inside a hi-jacked plane, then what you gonna do ???

Call the cops ?

Ask this newgroup ?

I am kinda disappointed and disgusted by the replies in this newsgroup :P

Let's stop the bullshit and get serious.

What can seriously done to get control back of the plane ?

If the answer is: we dont know, then all planes on this planet are in serious trouble !

Time for a wake up call.

Bye, Skybuck.

it s

control

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Yeh I hope that happens too, but what if Fred (1,2..) is a converted anglo like the jerk just shown on TV?, gives them another edge.

Myself, I'd basically start checking out all the Freds that visit certain countries and attended certain "schools of lower education" who are supposed to be getting kicked out by end of this year.

JJ

Reply to
JJ

But is it really a useful thing to look at and consider? Most probably whoever is in the pilot seat will remain in control and be able to turn the computer off, so whats the use? And terrorsist will be able to turn off the computer, if needed with box openers, and replace their own.

If air control can make planes crash into skyscrapers remotely its air control and not the planes that will be highjacked. One never stops wondering about stupidness of "bright" ideas for avoiding plane hijackings.

--
	Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Reply to
Sander Vesik

In article , Robert Myers wrote: [...]

At least one person had thought it through. I'd bet there were others but they were just ignored.

Welcome to the deep trouble. I believe that Air Bus has taken some steps on their own.

DARPA only does projects that push technologies forwards. If something can be done with what is off the shelf today, they aren't interested because that just isn't their mission. The FFA may be the right people to address the issue but they make continental drift look fast.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

In article , Sean Kelly wrote: [...]

The system can be all contained on the aircraft. It only needs GPS or the like to know where it is. The software contains a map of the world. If there isn't an airport marked at this location, you can't go below 3000 feet.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Are you thinking of the security guy at Morgan Stanley ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

You clearly don't understand much about how aircraft systems work. Such an idea can only even remotely be contemplated on an all fly-by-wire aircraft. That means most Airbus models and the 777 IIRC. Even then it's a huge task with many practical pitfalls.

So - potential terrorists simply have to hijack an airliner that's not fbw.

Simpler to keep hijackers out of the cockpit really. Low tech ( a strong door ) wins .

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Who's Fred ?

What is 'checking them out' supposed to achieve ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Or whatever the local mountain range reaches up to.

That kind of simple assertion illustrates nicely why such a system is in fact very very complicated yet with no realistic likelihood of ever being required !

In other words - no-one's going to do it.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Well I think the following could be done:

The airplane contains emergency buttons everywhere.

As soon as these buttons are pressed the nearest air traffic control center is notified.

The airplane immediatly enters into auto pilot and sets heading for the nearest airfield etc and simply lands there.

So, passengers no longer have to enter a struggle for life and death into the cockpit etc. Flight 93 crashed because they couldn't get into the cockpit fast enough. The pilot simply crashed it reaaaal quick.

So now only a fight for these buttons has to occur and since there are so many it shouldn't be a problem at all to press any one of them ;) All directly connected to the flight control computer etc.

As soon as the plane is in a state of emergency the pilots loose control of their aircraft etc and it's flown automatically ;) =D

So in other words to hell with the pilots lol =D

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

A trap door would be even better. Let one of the pilots push the button to blow them out the bottom of the plane, and to their deaths. Then close the trap door. ;-)

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida