Switcher psu woes

Hi, Sometimes I think everythings against me, I decided to use the lm2727 synchronous smps controller for a cool runing regulator, (10-15v input 1.5A variable output) however it has undervoltage lockout not just on the input as I though but on the output, when the output drops below a certain point it actualy latches off and shorts out the output, wich means its very sensitive to sudden load changes, the lm2737 doesnt have the latch off feature but doesnt seem to be stocked by my suppliers, I managed to disable this feature with a diode clamp but now I find it disipates a considerable amount of heat when no load, it seems the synchronous rectifier lower mosfet remains on and conducts in the unwanted direction sinking current from the output, this 'feature' is described as source+sink capability.

As if that isnt enough after several blown top side mosfets I finally realised the gate voltage was being driven to 0v before the source had droped to 0v, with close to the maximum 16v input voltage this meant there was -15v vgs wich is more than it can stand, although it was only for about

20ns. a gate resistor got rid of this but made it too slow, there seems to be very little dead time, a diode vgs clamp proved better.

There is another chip tsp4005x with more pins wich is why I didnt chose it originaly but is available with or without the 'sink' feature but gues what my supplier only stocks it with the option, however it does apear that it drives the top mosfet gate to vs rather than 0v

Not to mention my dual mosfet tssop-8 pmwd18un actually turned out to be common drain instead of a dual pair wich wasnt mentioned on the catalogue page and I didnt look long enough at the data sheet.

The final thing is that with the paralelled tssop-8 devices wich gives an rdson of ~10m ohm they seem to dissipate more power than some spare stn3nf06l 0.1 ohm mosfets I had, is this due to the particularly low gate threshold perhaps, or are those tiny packages realy not able to take the current ?

Fortunatly the rest of the circuits on the board seemed to work ok.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Welcome to OUR world!

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Are there any better alternatives ?

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Reply to
Colin

on

about

what

Well I built another synchronous dc-dc converter on a little board to test a tps40054, and gues what it worked first time ! works quite well, think il have to lose the feedforward as im not clear how it affects the max duty cycle, but no biggy, seems to run very cool. I decided to use d-pack fets instead of those flimsy tssop. these seem to be more popular than sot233 now.

This is source current only so under fualt conditions it does not short out the output wich when driving a largish motor or with a largish output capacitor kinda wholops the lower MOSFET.

Fits nicley in a wallwart, also added a synchronous ac rectifier too wich recoveres a couple more volts.

Im impressed with the organisation of the pin out, for once its arranged so that the circuit can easily be made on one layer. in fact the datasheet shows the circuit with the actual pin out and only 2 wires cross, fortunatly each trace can pass under a capacitor.

Annoyingly my supplier Farnell had this device all along but it didnt show up in their parametric search nor in the TI parametric search, whats up with these people dont they want to sell these devices ? its so identical to the tps40050 I cant tell any difference in the data sheet.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Hooray!

Now not to rain on your parade, but what happens when you turn on a low-band AM radio in its neighborhood? Did you design in some RFI filters to keep your design from blanketing out nearby radios? Please do.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

Thanks !

yep next step to determine what input/output filters needed, probably common mode torroid or one of those large ferrite beads as well, wonder if I can pass the input and output +/- leads through the same common mode choke ?

Its not mass produced but might as well make it general purpose so I can use it for slighlty sensitive stuff. When I worked on SMPS long time ago we found that in production some common mode chokes actually were a lot better than others for reducing EMI, we found that they had been made with an unequal number of turns so were unbalanced, the manafacturer apologised then was quite surprised when we asked them to make them all like that.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin