Swatch kills RoHS

Hello John,

Can't say that from what I've seen. Once I had a hard time convincing a client to solder their motherboards again. Luckily an incident happened that did it: Pulled a large board with three DIN connectors in back. It did what dentists might call an "involuntary extraction": One of the motherboard DIN counterparts came out with it. The client went back to soldering and most MB field failures after rough transport flights and so on went away.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 13:01:21 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

You should be doing minimum weekly, if not daily full backups.

If or since you do not do a monthly or whatever blowing out of the dust in the PS, as well as the CPU heatsinks, I'd say the odds that that machine's days are numbered are *VERY* high. Unless the air in your Bldg is super clean.

Besides, you just mentioned that it has been running all this time. You and I both know that was a death knell. ;-]

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 13:48:46 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

Done right, they are a gas tight, super reliable connection methodology. They are typically for bus connectors, etc (ganged rows of holes). Not so much for individual discreet componentry.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

At a workshop/seminar? about network services. A m$ rep said their servers are fine. They just need a regular reboot every month. Not anyone took that for an answer as most unix servers will keep up for years without a hitch.

Reply to
pbdelete

Yeah- so what? You idiots had plenty of forewarning that it was coming your way, and the materials people need something to keep them busy.

How is it a "waste of effort" if the end result is to remove a major toxic substance from the environment. The legislation was enacted partly in consideration of industry advisement that the replacement technology was viable, if there was a problem with that, then that was the time to speak up.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Suggestions are always welcome, but I'd appreciate if you wouldn't automatically assume that we're stupid.

John

But that isn't the end result, lead isn't particularly toxic, drinking water pipes were made from lead and many still exist FFS.

In addition to being a 'substance' lead is an element and there is no possibility of removing it, just controlling how it is moved around.

Reply to
nospam

downtime

joint

room.

that

We had a rep come in to show us a shock/vibe damping material that he said would absorb all energy.

I asked him how he moved it.

Reply to
Richard Henry

--
LOL, excellent!!!
Reply to

Plant growth can be seriously inhibited by lead. I did some experiments back on school to study the effects of lead. Besides, very little lead (or other toxic materials) is already dangerous because the food chain accumulates it and guess who's on top of the food chain... Besides, in China some areas are so polluted by our electronic waste that they need to bring water by trucks because all the nearby water is toxic.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Lead water pipes are ok in hard water areas ( aprotective layer wil be formed ) but soft water will leach out the lead.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 14:45:22 GMT, Fred Bloggs Gave us:

Show us how the metallic form lead in the solder of a circuit board assembly ends up contaminating a water table and someone MIGHT believe you.

Come back when you know what you are talking about.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 08:06:49 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

is

5

us

I didn't, HOWEVER, it was you that told us that your sever is six years old, as if that has saved your firm some enormous amount of money or something. PCs are cheap these days, and so are fancy, long MTBF hard drives.

I could reasonably and safely assume that NOT ONE SOUL has ever opened it up and serviced the PS and CPU heatsinks.

You incorrectly assumed that I made such an assumption.

My assumptions are based on IT knowledge that there are not very many PC based file servers out there that are in service for so long, and even fewer that are in service without regular maintenance.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 18:32:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) Gave us:

The toxic water tables in China are NOT the result of circuit boards in landfills, dope.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Of course we had warning--that's why we have the process in place, in manufacturing, today.

Unlike some people, our materials guys are capable of doing a lot of useful things. The opportunity cost has been huge.

If that were the result, I wouldn't be grousing about it, but it isn't. Lead is astonishingly stable in in landfills. What do you actually know about the metallurgy of lead-free, Fred?

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Hello Roy,

In theory, yes. The same is true for wire-wrap, also ideally creating multiple gas-tight connections per pin. However, I have seen a disproportionate amount of grief with both methodologies, despite the fact that most of this (in the pressfit case all of it) was done by pros and on professional assembly lines.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

But, what happens if you burn waste including lead? Over here most waste doesn't end up in landfills (there is no more room for them) but gets burned.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 08:13:04 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) Gave us:

Boiling Mercury gives off toxic fumes. Heated lead merely melts and finds the lowest point that gravity will allow it to find. Likely in the bottom of the incinerator.

That is assuming that such items end up in an incinerator to begin with.

If that is how it works "over there" (putting the wrong things in the furnace) then your country is managed by idiots even bigger than you are for letting them do it.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

The worry some people are raising is lead leeching into the water table, most of Europe has had lead pipes since Roman times so no one knows how much is left in the ground! With lead from this source hard/soft water is obviously irrelevant, its the relative acidity of the soil that determines the level of risk.

The best way to get lead out of the environment is to manufacture things with it and ensure its disposed of properly (recycled) at the products end of life.

Reply to
ian field

If someone said that all the miles and miles of abandoned lead pipes across Europe since the Roman times were contaminating the water table I might worry a little, and what about all the rain lashed lead roofing strip (and sometimes whole sheets!) in most parts of the world?!

Reply to
ian field