Vishay Mosfet group going under?

I heard that Vishay is cancelling open orders for fets and shutting lines down. I suspect my intelligence sources though. Has anyone heard anything that might confirm this?

regards, Bob

Reply to
Yzordderrex

Can you get more specific information. With part numbers? For example, Vishay bought a raft of old MOSFET products from IRF a few years ago, parts that IRF was likely ready to retire then, and Vishay may finally be retiring now.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Sorry Win, I don't have much to go on. I was told that they are canceling open orders. I think this is probably an embellishment of the truth. I do notice quite a few fets are out of stock at digikey, so I expect there is a lot of panic buying going on. Not just Vishay, but other sources as well. A different intel source told me that they are trying to slow down this environment where purchasing groups are helter skelter ordering 2x what they need in order to get what they need. Sorry to anybody if I have caused concern. Last thing I want to do is add to the panic. As I said, I suspect the story.

regards, Bob

Reply to
Yzordderrex

One other point - these seem to be some of the smaller high performance parts in power packs and so forth. I haven't looked at D or D2 or soic or any thru-hole.

regards, Bob

Reply to
Yzordderrex

That actually _is_ what I recommend to client for some parts. Better to have $3k of extra inventory sitting on the shelf than being hit with a hard 20wk leadtime and next month you have to furlough half the production staff because of a hardcore line stop. I know that accountants and CFOs really don't like this but man's gotta do what man's gotta do.

The only explanation I could imagine is that some mfgs must have slammed the brakes end of 2008.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That's what I've been telling anyone who will listen at my CPOE. ...and a lot who won't. So far, so good, though occasionally there is a scramble for dumb things.

Yep, and they're not about to restart until the dark clouds clear over Washington.

Reply to
krw

Are you sure that will ever happen? You could grow mushrooms outdoors at noon in Washington DC. :(

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

We'll see what November brings.

Reply to
krw

lot

dumb

Hopefully, heavy rains to wash the streets clean of crooks and idiots?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

20wk lead time sounds like they have to open new mines for raw materials, then build plants, then...
Reply to
Robert Baer

Well, I see that sort of time frame a lot lately. Essentially it means "No, we don't have anything we could test, package and bond. Nada, zip, zilch". So one has to react by hoarding stuff.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

lot

dumb

Well, that's too much to hope for. Sweeping Washington clean of Demonicrats is possible. There will still be far too many crooks and idiots.

Reply to
krw

One of the Disties was telling me of 214 week lead times. Yes, 2014.

Reply to
krw

Which, of course, makes things even worse. 1) product dries up. 2) Everyone triple-orders. 3) Parts go unused. 4) A year down the road orders dry up while everyone goes through their inventory. Go to 1).

Reply to
krw

Sure, but what can you do if manufacturers don't plan ahead far enough? Recently I had designs where, when I handed the client the module spec, schematic and BOM, a part that showed thousands of stock just days before stood at zilch. So nowadays my recommendation is often "Look at the schematic later, first order the BOM stuff, right now, and enough to last at least through the first half year".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Time to re-design for another manufacturer's part, and pronto. That sort of leadtime is almost Maximesque :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Nothing. I'm with you. I *want* my employer to make sure he can build product for the next year. I like it when he makes (lotsa) money. *Whatever* that takes.

When I worked for LM they had prototype quantity issues. I told them that I always had a drawer full of any component I was designing in and wouldn't start until I did. When I left they were *still* chasing parts and raw boards. What a mess. Your tax dollars at work.

Reply to
krw

Ya think! So far we've been OK. I've had to add a bunch of vendors as alternatives. Crystals and caps have been a problem. So far our inventory control people have been pretty good at keeping inventory. Often far exceeding expectations. One crystal that I was going to obsolete had >12K in inventory - guess not. I did reduce it from two to one per.

Reply to
krw

[...]

Currently I am working with an engineer whose attitude in that respect I like: He only designs stuff in when he has an order confirmation _and_ a valid FedEx tracking number.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Crystals are fairly easy, no need to stock oodles of those. I tend to avoid oscillators in a can. A regular standalone crystal can, in a pinch, be custom ordered from lots of places and isn't going to break the bank. Ok, it's more expensive but for larger qties you could source it in China. The main thing is to avoid a line stop.

When I did that with an inductor for a client a long time ago we looked at it and it was "Wow, custom from Taiwan costs less than catalog from the US". So they are still using that Taiwanese inductor.