measuring voltage at a distance with a LASER

If his guess is right, and if an electric field and a magnetic field both affect light polarization, how can the probe tell if you're looking at a high voltage or a high current?

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Then I noticed the posting date. If it's 3/31 in the US then it's 4/1 in Austrailia.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Use the laser to read the bardcodes on each electron, to get the exact current flow. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I like that fabric they have on the chairs, it's a company in NC.

cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Because the details of the hardware are highly obfuscated, I tend to be skeptical of the entire process.

From what I know of the magnetic Faraday effect and the Pockels effect, I even more skeptical although a many good buzz words were used. To start, air would have extremely weak Faraday and Pockels effects. To get significant signal, you would have to run a rod, albeit an insulating clear rod with large Verdet and electro-optical constants, to the point of measurement. It would be the Pockels polariztion shift that measures the integrated electric field (potential difference) along the path. The integrated Faraday shift would measure current flowing in a cable.

That is all I have to say for now because I do not wish to expend more effort on a highly hypothetical measuring instrument. Post when you have significantly more detailed description on configuration.

--

Sam

Liberals are for Darwinism but totally against any selection.
Reply to
Salmon Egg

I noticed that too. While I'm not a huge fan of schematic diagrams, let's just say that this cloth has a certain "decorator potential"!

Reply to
benj