Sure is a lot of animosity here lately

Hah! Ever heard of Tom Lehrer's song, "National Brotherhood Week?"

"Step up and shake the hand, of someone you can't stand..."

After reeling off all the insincere, saccharine pleasantries involved making nice with all the other jerks on the planet, the final line is

"...be grateful that it doesn't last all year!"

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Tom Lehrer and Jeanie Ritchie were the featured performers at my MIT Junior Prom.

"...and I don't like anybody very much" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

lot of good stuff

o seem like your are more clever than the rest of us. Posting stuff, teasin g, trying to provoke a reaction and not just posting the formula in the oth er thread from the beginning is just plain childish.

The average age of SED is probably >45

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

[snip]

Really crude.

There are a lot of younger folk lurking here. I get a lot of direct E-mail inquiries from university students almost daily.

Even got one from a university _professor_ two days ago.

As far as I know, most of these querents lurk, but don't post.

Their requests for circuit information have proved to be useful to me... I'm getting up to speed on direct component and subcircuit creation in LTspice (rather than just doing my normal pull-in-a-netlist from PSpice routine).

So, if you have a question, just go to my website and click on the envelope symbol on my home page. I'll be more than happy to help. ...Jim Thompson

Well, you keep mentioning male body parts and "young bucks." I was just being helpful.

Precision electronic instrumentation

In my geek/nerd world, "young bucks" doesn't mean the same thing as it does to the inhabitants of San Fransicko. ...Jim Thompson

You're right. Around here, it means adolescent male deer.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Is that what it means around the corner from you on Market St ?:-} Or on Castro >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Strange that you should talk about "your" geek/nerd world, out in some bleak burb of Phoenix. We're two and three blocks from Twitter, Square, Dolby, Yammer, Zendesk, and maybe a hundred other tech outfits. We have a webby-app startup sharing our space, in the back, for free. We are swarmed by google busses. There's a world-famous food truck park a few blocks away, packed with techies buying sushi and $9 hot dogs. The guys seem to all drink Coke and the women prefer water.

I don't think anybody, around here or over in the Castro, would recognize an anachronism like "young bucks."

Hey, SF was rated by The Advocate as the 17th gayest city in the US, just behind Scottsdale. Enjoy.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Actually, i have told both of you to knock it off.

I will say it again:

Jim, John, knock it off!

Clear enough both of you this time?

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

be

from a

here?

you

I validate this.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

It is in my music collection. Hell, i may even still have the vinyl LP.

Reply to
josephkk

I think that is a phrase from an old "Kingston Trio" cut.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

g uncharacteristically nice to everyone.

I've probably got it on CD somewhere, but I've definitely got words and mus ic in my copy of "Too Many songs by Tom Lehrer and not enough drawings by R onald Searle" ISBN 0-413-48580-03 which documents everything performed in T omfoolery, which is a show that everybody ought to see if it gets revived s omewhere on the same continent as you are. Or on an adjacent continent ...

One of our more insanely lucky friends - she works Apple - for lives in S anta Cruz, and gets to have Tom Leherer around to dinner once or twice a ye ar.

making nice with all the other jerks on the planet, the final line is

Nice.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Does anybody on here REALLY think that the feuding between Mr. Thompson and Mr. Larkin is burnout from being nice to people through the holidays? Really? The feuding between them started way too long ago for that.

Reply to
Greegor

No, but it was a pleasant and productive comic conceit. We could do with more of them.

Perhaps, but it's usually less obvious. Maybe they have been discharging some of the aggressions that they haven't been allowed to vent on their more obnoxious relatives.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

G > Does anybody on here REALLY think that the G > feuding between Mr. Thompson and Mr. Larkin G > is burnout from being nice to people G > through the holidays? Really? BS > No, but it was a pleasant and productive BS > comic conceit. We could do with more of them. G > The feuding between them started G > way too long ago for that. BS > Perhaps, but it's usually less obvious. BS > Maybe they have been discharging some BS > of the aggressions that they haven't BS > been allowed to vent on their more BS > obnoxious relatives. If that were true, you would be a therapeutic gold mine, Slowman.

Reply to
Greegor

A remarkably silly comment, even granting Greegor's enthusiasm for posting total nonsense. First he's got to identify the aggressions which he imagine s to be a "therapeutic gold mine" and then he's got to identify the therapy which this imagined information is going to help.

Calling Greegor a tendentitious half-wit is remarkably satisfying, but prob ably not therapeutic. I feel better for it, but it probably hasn't improved me.

I'll save Greegor the trouble of pointing out that if I thought myself to b e perfect, no further improvement could be possible. Sadly for him, I'm not that silly.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I first heard it from Lehrer himself at the MIT junior prom (1960), and, indeed, I probably have a "vinyl" of it myself.

You did hear that Phil Everly died on Jan 3? The Everly brothers were amongst my favorites. Probably have them on vinyl as well. Though many years ago I converted most of my vinyl to CD to fit into my CD "jukebox"... 1955-1970 is my main range, though I have some more modern artists, plus lots of country-western _and_ lots of classical, particularly Mozart. ...Jim Thompson

Look at the pattern. He boasts, he feuds, I slap him down. It isn't even hard.

He claimed to have an analytical method to compute the R and L values in his gate booster circuit, which would have been interesting and on-topic. But he didn't.

Well, we did improve and simplify the circuit for him.

Precision electronic instrumentation