Supplier for SMPS transformers?

I'm looking for a transformer for a push-pull forward converter. I'm trying to find something off-the-shelve. The current circuit uses transformers with 6 identical windings. The problem is that due to the winding ratio I need 3 of those and due to the current they need to be ridiculously large. I already checked Coilcraft, Premier and Wurth but none of them have a transformer which suits the requirements: Preferably 1:1:13 turns ratio and 15A peak current into the primary windings, and 1.2A in the secondary.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

No matter how you toss and turn it that'll be a custom part. If cost is critical and quantities are high you can have it made in China. Otherwise there are also European companies who can do that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

El 06-08-11 16:16, Nico Coesel escribió:

Hello Nico,

Maybe you can also specify the frequency range of operation, insulation requirements, supply voltage, primary inductance, maximum leakage inductance (when important) and number of units.

Wim PA3DJS

Please remove abc first in case of PM

Reply to
Wimpie

If you do need to go custom, try Minntronics. Ask for Butch. He's a really good magnetics designer.

John

Frequency and inductance are not fixed, the rest of the circuit can be designed around it. Insulation requirement is 500V (standard) no agency approvals necessary because it is not isolated. 100 units is a good start but a bit low for a custom design. If all goes well my customer expects to sell way more though.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Buy the core sets and the bobbins and make them yourself. Wise to use Litz on the primary to maximize efficiency.

Reply to
Naomi Price

Insulation requirement ... not isolated ... huh?

John's supplier might do such a small run. If you want something more local I haven't dealt with these company personally but they make custom ferrite transformers:

But be prepared to pay some hefty NRE with such low quantities.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

"Joerg"

** Could mean the output is connected to safety ground - ie not GROUND isolated.
** Lice ?

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I mean the input and output have a common ground but the wiring should be able to withstand a couple of hundred volts.

I have dealt with ISE before for a custom low-profile flyback transformer. Not bad but it took them 3 tries to get the leakage inductance down to acceptable levels.

I'm afraid so. I'll contact these companies and see if they have something semi-custom off the shelf. Otherwise I have to fit 6 ETD39 transformers on a long eurocard.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Hello Nico,

When you are in a stage that not everything is fixed already (nice), try to do it yourself. You can find a reasonable optimum between the transformer itself and the components around it (FET's, snubbers, decoupling capacitors, etc). When done, you can have it made by some other company.

Not all companies have the design expertise they claim to have. They may hire some external expertise to do the job.

Even when you find a COTS part, you will probably subject it to (severe) testing. Of course I understand when you can use some of the shelf component it may save costs.