superheroes

I once came across an unopened Tetrapak of milk in the fridge that had sat there for about a month. Out of curiosity I opened it. The contents were perfectly edible in fact, just not quite as liquid as normal. Tasted quite decent.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Rot with random culture. Might be good, might be really nasty.

John

Who is whining? Any employer will chose a younger candidate over an older one, all other things being equal, and most Dutch employers (when compared with other European emplyers) have a relatively strong aversion for anybody over 45, an aversion that increases rapidly as the potential employer gets older than 45. I think the Dutch 55-64 age group has the lowest level of participation in employment of any country in Europe.- less than 50% for men. See Fig 12 on page 26 of

$FILE/JT00122072.PDF

The difference isn't drastic, but it reflects a situation where employers of 55 and older have to struggle to hang onto their jobs, and job candidates ollder than 55 have to have a lot to offer before they come in for serious consideration - on average, about one in 60 of the unemployed over 55 will get work in any one year. I do have a lot to offer (and did get a full-time job when I was 57 which lasted until I was 60) but the odds still aren't that good.

Consulting doesn't seem to be an option for the sort of work I do best

- I put in a couple of years trying to attract that kind of work when I was working part-time at Nijmegen University (1993-1999) and didn't find a enough business to make it worth my while.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

$FILE/JT00122072.PDF

I think the problem is that the employers are looking for a specific skill set for those positions and anything beyond that is not a consideration. This means that even though you are a superior candidate all around, by far, you lose competitiveness because of age apparently. I agree with the policy that is not right to employ a 60yo to do a job that can be performed just as well by a 35yo when there is a surplus of

35yo's available to do it. Therefore you will just have to leverage your experiential and intellectual superiority to find the work. From what I have seen, most consultants do not sit by and wait for the work to come to them, they have to go out and find it. And what about those firms who contract out engineering services and expertise consulting? They have already done all the networking, smooshing, and other social/potlicktical business to get the work. Have you looked into them?
Reply to
Fred Bloggs

As I've already mentioned, one of the firms that basically sells engineering consultants almost managed to place me at Philips last year

- if Philips had gone through with the theraputic ultrssound project they'd been contemplating, I'd been workig on it now.

One of the other Dutch firms in the same business is also interested, but hasn't even got that close to finding me work.

The difficulty with consulting is that you have to be known to your potential clients, and I'm damned if can come up with any kind of useful shop window in which to exhibit my wares. I am working on a web-site, but making rather slow progress.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

Nah, gimme a bulimic alcoholic any day. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich, but drunk

Isn't the ideal woman supposed to be a deaf and dumb nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Well, I've had the "nymphomaniac", and believe me, it's not the picnic it's touted to be. Yeah, sure, when you're 18, it sounds like the bee's knees "Dewd! A chick who wants to do it ALL THE TIME!!!!!" But when you become a grownup, you realize, "Dude, she's NEVER SATISFIED!!!!!" A man needs to sleep sometime!

Did a deaf and dumb girl in Okinawa, and got the clap, so I've pretty much ruled that out for awhile. Still working on the liquor store owner, however. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich, but drunk

So, are you a self-starting proactive team player who can think independently outside the box while still obeying orders to the letter? Are you also an EE with at least 20yrs experience of leading edge technology who is under 30?

If so... don't apply here.

FFF Dirk

Reply to
Dirk Bruere

There's an ad on page 82 of the Ap. 27 EDN that features a big loaf of horribly moldy/mouldy bread.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Now stop for a second to consider what Roquefort cheese is made from !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

It just about put me off my blue-cheese burger. 8-(

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Yeah, I flip the page so fast I miss their name, and the ads on the facing page. Do the _want_ to associate their corporate identity with this image? Are their products as dumb as their marketing?

John