Standard Resistor Values: Why not a true geometric series?

I can cite a counterexample:

?name=RHM1.00KHTR-ND

1% tolerance 1-kiloohm 0603 size SMT resistors at .45 cent apiece in 5K piece quantities, and about .2 cent apiece in half million piece quantities, from Digi-Key!

Don Klipstein

too, right? lol

I spent the last twenty plus years working with both floppies AND mil spec resistors, and am aware of the manufacturing processes used in their making. You?

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

too, right? lol

...but you have a problem answering the question?

Reply to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=AA=BA=AA_rrock

too, right? lol

I worked with enough mil-spec resistors, though for a minority of the past 22 years. If you worked with them as you said, you should be able to mention how a 1/4 watt through-hole mil-spec one from 1986-1987 (when I stuffed and soldered a lot of military boards) looks different from a commercial grade 1/4 watt one from that era or now.

Don Klipstein

With a little hunting, one could easily get a much better than half off price for the 1/2M piece buy the they offer/quote.

Is there such a thing as a 5% SMD resistor? I mean... I know there is, but aren't they like really hard to find right now?

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

too, right? lol

For the mil spec, there was more than one package style. The most common were epoxy packaged in a dark brown epoxy, and marked alpha-numerically, not with color coding, as the commercial variety are.

The other style were glass encapsulated, alpha-numerically marked, and the typical base color was a dark blue.

Again, however, it does vary from maker to maker.

J-STD through hole is still available, however, for SMT, since mil 2000 went away, and everything is, for the most part IPC-A-610 for acceptability, pretty much all SMT resistors are the same, unless one wants or specs a very specialized, or tightly controlled variety.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

That's not the point. The point was that a single penny savings on a large volume production means a LOT of money saved.

Now go price through hole parts at .25 W.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

An addendum:

A lot of folks use through hole as the PCBs are usually cheaper, and the manufacturing process usually is as well.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Not if you pay less than a penny for 1%. Even Digikey sells 1% 0603s for 0.45 cents each, a single reel at a time.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The post I responded to was where you claimed a bigger price difference between 5% and 1%, and now you are arguing about unavailability of 5% vs.

1% for SMD resistors, and a lot of products are now made with SMD components including resistors.

Only a couple years ago I ran into a contract manufacturer quoting shorter lead time if I restricted values of 0603 size SMD resistors to what they called "standard values", which were the ones that 10% tolerance resistors had. I suspect the contract manufacturer had a PCB subcontractor that stocked the E12 or whatever it is "10% tolerance values" though nowadays 5% tolerance resistors are "The Usual Stuff". It appears to me that the "usual low cost stuff" among resistors are ones of 5% tolerance but cheaper and quicker if the values are restricted to the

12-per-decade ones that were made with 10% tolerance.

How about Digi-Key on a 5% tolerance 0603 size SMD 1-K resistor:

?name=RHM1.0KGTR-ND

1K 5% 0603 SMD resistor, .312 cent apiece plus shipping if you order one 5K piece reel, .1404 cent apiece if you order half a million.

?name=311-1.0KGRTR-ND

That is a competing product that appears to me to be priced basically 6% higher in larger quantities, available from Digi-Key.

Don Klipstein

You can buy resistors labeled 5%, but they're usually really 1% or better. Laser trimming costs the same.

We just buy 1% resistors, to keep our parts lists shorter. There's no point to stocking, kitting, and placing 1K 5% and 1K 1% resistors on the same board.

John

material, too, right? lol

Looks like you did/do not know a quick-to-see characteristic of 1/4-watt mil-spec through-hole resistors about 21 years ago, that discerns them from 1/4 watt "commercial grade" ones, when I stuffed and soldered 1/4 bazillion of them (actually merely 10's of thousands).

I give you another chance to say before I do what this difference is or was when I worked with plenty of them.

Don Klipstein

Cheaper PCB for through-hole? Why and how and cite? It costs more to drill holes!

For that matter, I have used ExpressPCB enough times, and occaisionaly encountered their surcharge for drilling more than however many holes per square inch of PCB.

Don Klipstein

material, too, right? lol

Fuck you. Read it again. The mil are/were alpha-numerically marked, and the commercial grade are color coded stripes.

Fuck you and your chances.

I wouldn't care if you croaked first.

And I told you, asswipe.

The mil that *I* used were hermetically sealed glass encapsulated OR epoxy encapsulated, and were marked alpha-numerically, and has NO metal crimped end caps for terminations, and had premium quality leads. They had both value tolerances as well as thermal derating tolerances marked on them.

Commercial through hole are standard metal film on ceramic tubes with metal end caps and glazing fired over that (ie NOT glass), then color coded with stripes to include three significant digits, a multiplier, and a value tolerance code. They are cheap Tin plated copper leads. The metal end caps are crimped on an they typically do NOT have thermal derating stripes on them. (6 band) jobs do.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

You're an idiot. ALL PCBs including SMD have holes.

Ever heard of a via? They are ALSO plated through.

Most through hole, simple boards are only two layers, and that is almost always cheaper than a board with internal layers.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

You are wrong. I've done at least a couple of SMD boards myself that have had no holes at all. It is quite possible.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Rick Nungester snipped-for-privacy@mail.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

Reply to
JosephKK

Well, 33 *was* one of the standard values at a time when only about four were available at 20% or something. It is grandfathered into the 10%,

5%, 1%, etc lines to this day. IIRC 22 is another. Also, each E-series of a particular tolerance includes all the values of the series of next greater tolerance and produces the geometric means of all adjacent values to roughly double the available values as well as halving the tolerance. Assuming the tolerance is taken to mean a ratio of standard deviation ( or some multiple thereof) to the mean, the statistics for the series combination seem to differ from that of the parallel when synthesizing a composite of mean closer to an off standard value. Care to elaborate on this?
Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Granted, but it is NOT common at all.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Not uncommon for clad aluminum PCBs used in power applications.