Re: Standard Resistor Values: Why not a true geometric series?

>>> I do not need to google it. I worked with it for the last ten years, >>>and if your google skills were good enough, you would find that I posted >>>about it here a couple years ago. I think I even included a link to the >>>plotted graph. >> >>Oh. Your statement that "Vacuum is NOT an insulator" led me to think >>that you consider vacuum to be not an insulator. >> >>Thanks for clearing that up. >> > > Vacuum is a GAP. If you had ever used a glass encapsulated "spark gap" >device, you would know that. They are selected by the voltage at which >the designer want them to arc over at. They are constructed by the width >of the GAP between the two points inside the high vacuum glass >encapsulation. > > If it were an insulator, that would infer a physical presence, and upon >the very first breach of said presence, the media would no longer be able >to withstand the same pressure that it did before the breach. > > A vacuum GAP acts as an insulator would, inasmuch as a requisite >pressure is required to breach said gap. Were it not for >micro-metallization of said vacuum "space" that pressure value would >always be the same. > > Just so you don't get all stupid like the rocktard does, the term >"pressure" refers to voltage.

Can you name any that have a vacuum and not an inert gas?

Don Klipstein

Are you saying that a vacuum would not work?

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

I surely am saying that a vacuum would not work nearly as well as an inert gas would.

Meanwhile, you have yet to name a manufacturer and part number for a vacuum spark gap device that becomes conductive as a result of anode-cathode voltage exceeding any sort of consistent threshold.

Heck, you have yet to mention manufacturer and part number of a vacuum spark gap device even without further qualifications!

Don Klipstein

Try good old fashioned VACUUM tubes.

IIRC, they were not filled with an inert gas.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

They're not sold as spark gaps.

Weaseling again, and badly at that. Why do you go out on limbs like this, asserting things you know nothing about, without bothering to google first to see if you're right?

OK, who manufactures vacuum spark gaps?

John

Tesla coil builders.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Got a link? All I've ever seen were air gaps.

John

Let me rephrase then, Johnny.

Other than layman Tesla coil builders like those Johnny knows.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

No links, which is exactly what everybody expected.

John