spice Ver4 model - sync rec mosfet - body diode charge

Some of you may be familiar with issues around self-synchronizing normally-off mosfet rectifier control. This is basically an attempt to get mosfets to behave as 'ideal' rectifiers, using the simplest control method - a linear negative Vds regulation in the third quadrant.

Apart from the issue of accurately modeling the integrated version of a controller, the behavior of the mosfet body diode is creating modeling anomalies.

Drain currents flowing as the drain voltage rises at turn-off do not seem to be related to current levels experienced by the mosfet parasitic diode - rather they scale to current flowing through the enhanced mosfet channel at turn-off - a structure that is supposed to be storage-charge immune.

web page with links to swcadIV files and pdf format are available at:

images of simulation traces and representative schematic at:

Any ideas, please comment.

RL

Reply to
legg

(1) You need to make sure that the CMOS model version supports including the body diode

(2) And then whether the manufacturer characterized and included that effect in the model ...Jim Thompson

Circuit is too complicated :-) ...Jim Thompson

I'm too clued out to even know if you're joking, Jim.

Doubt that mfrs' foundry models will function, without mucho more extra bits, if only to get functional gain. I'll never see 6nSec turn-off; that's for sure.

RL

Reply to
legg

Just seeing the drain voltage clamp tells me that there's a diode function present, but the part must use some kind of default, as the only parameters listed are the usual VDMOS descriptors in SWCADIV. Same thing with other 'vendor' part models suplied out of the box.

It's not capacitive, not even non-linear cap, and it doesn't have a diode's form either.

RL

Reply to
legg

Partially ;-) Too many parts in your below-ground sensing.

Nope. I just looked up a 2N7002... Level=3 :-(

What I have done is take IC foundry models and scaled them to somewhat match discrete devices. But it's tedious work. ...Jim Thompson

There's only one npn collector (one that would have to be in a buried well for isolation) acting as an emitter in inverted mode. The resistor is the crude voltage regulation adjustment at the moment.

What I'd need to do is to make the foundry models work, assuming they're the best representations of what the foundry can can actually produce.

RL

Reply to
legg

What would be nice to run across would be a tool to take the DC stuff from Level=3 and convert to Level=7, then you could tweak in the rest of the stuff, like body diode, gate charge and below-threshold behavior. ...Jim Thompson

This image is a comparison between storage charge in a conventional ultrafast rectifier and the mosfet at roughly the same current levels. I've left the gate driver and mosfet nodes in place, just to give an idea of what they do 'open-loop'. ( Funny seeing a turn-on gate voltage step, in the other condition not shown here - in response to near-zero-voltage disconnected drain charge transfer..... and where this circuit gets >20A for the gate drive turn-off.....but lets not get distracted.)

In the conventional rectifier, stored charge is probably accurately tailored to reflect the current at the time of voltage reversal. The current shape is probably accurate enough for the circuits we hang around with.

The behavior of stored charge under the influence of low voltage mos drain behavior is probably something that isn't very well documented.

From memory, all I recall is some speculation that package inductances may be influential when you're talking multi-amps, millivolts and microseconds - this in relation to physically paralleled mos and schottky structures.

RL

Reply to
legg

That's a pretty nice looking snap on that MUR640, at least at this resolution. Must make for fun EMC testing!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

This is just the output of a simulation.

I don't have a scope or a current transformer with that kind of bandwidth. Conventional reverse recovery current is depicted with finite and constant di/dt as an 'experimental' control, with variously shaped reductions and oscillations after the peak.

The mosfet version is a haversine, the origins of which are part of the question here.

RL

Reply to
legg

Another thing about these waveforms:

In conventional reverse recovery, the voltage across the reverse-biased diode cannot rise until after the moment of peak reverse current. This is becaused the rectifier does not block until all charge is evacuated. Neither of the illustrated waveforms follows that convention.

For the mos rectifier simulation the voltage on the drain is seen to rise above zero as the current passes through zero.

For the ultrafast simulation, the voltage slowly approaches zero as the current reduces and reverses, passing through zero when the reverse current is roughly half the final peak value. The 2V apearing on the diode at the time of 'snap-off' would not likely be significant in a simulation of switching loss, as the bulk of the energy loss is still delivered to the switch.

RL

Reply to
legg

Musing over your problem this morning, I note that MOST Power MOSFET modelers are all over the place with modeling the body diode.

And there are actually two... body-to-source and body-to-drain.

You can't measure the body-to-source one since the body is tied to the source internally.

But you can measure the body-to-drain diode...

Tie gate to source then curve trace (or point by point) source-to-drain, obtaining IS for the diode (and RS, if you're careful).

Make a subcircuit with diodes from body-to-source and body-to-drain, both of the same IS (and RS) as obtained by your measurement... it's a good bet that source and drain area are the same, or very close.

If your basic MOS model includes body-to-source and body-to-drain capacitances, modeling only IS (and RS) should be adequate for your task, though adding a guestimate of TT might be helpful). ...Jim Thompson

Been doing a bit of reading up on the models presently available in LTSpice - it seems that this issue has been addessed through a number of avenues. mosfet models can be spec'ed up to L9. Building a subcircuit to to the job needed seems to be the approach. Puts me in the position of having to prove what's needed.

Unfortunately all models of reverse recovery reference the current at the time of voltage reversal for charge injection levels. The behavior of stored charge in the body of the enhanced fet body diode isn't considered.

This isn't a static characteristic, but I guess it can be scoped out using real parts - will have to be if it's not already covered in the literature. If there's a moderation or modulation, it should be as workable in a model as temperature effects, once you have some pointers.

If charge accumulation isn't avoidable, you'd end up with a low forward drop fast characteristic, rather than a recovery-free one.

RL

Reply to
legg

I don't see that a body diode is any different than any other diode, if fully characterized... which is the trick. ...Jim Thompson

It appears that the LTSpice mosfet body diode does not model reverse recovery in any way. Hendrik Jan Zwerver writes that the body diode is given a forward voltage characteristic and is used to model nonlinear Cds (Coss) of the fet it's attached to.

The following is a comparison of an ultrafast diode and a mosfet with gate shunted to source through a resistor ( 1R - 10R no effect. 10R Vgs is plotted n008):

I now have no idea where the fet current originates in the sync rec sim:

RL

Reply to
legg

legg a écrit :

It's not the body diode that lacks reverse recovery modeling. It's the basic diode model which is totally useless: recovers up to some predefined time (don't take any recovered charge into account) then it snaps abruptly.

If you want more or less real reverse recovery, you'd have to build yourself one into the model. I have some aimed at soft recovery modeling if you're interested.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

There is a soft recovery diode in LTSpice, though it's a subcircuit at the moment. Just look for "Soft_Diode.asc".

Of course I'm interested, but can't be sure that the body diodes actually existing in the fets being modeled would behave one way or another, now, without serious characterization.

What do yours do if current flow stops, but reverse voltage isn't immediately reapplied?

The fact that there wasn't any kind of diode recovery in the fet wasn't obvious from the controlled gate voltage turn-off sim. I don't know where the current flowing in the sim fet drain at that time comes from, now.

RL

Reply to
legg