how to calculate if transformer will saturate

at lower than designed for frequencies thx

Reply to
mynick

Easier to test.

John

If V/f is

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

"mynick"

** The primary saturation voltage for a transformer is proportional to frequency.

So, for a given primary magnetisation current, the voltage doubles if the frequency is doubled.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

As John said, test it. Data is often not very useful. My setup:

Function generator -> big stereo amp -> reverse transformer.

The reverse transformer is one of those tube deals, probably more than

50 years old, has a 340V winding. The stereo amp feeds its 12V winding. Now I can vary the frequency from 35Hz to hundreds of Hertz. Luckily this one works well even at 400Hz which allows me to test aircraft circuit designs. A small series resistor has a scope probe hooked to it (careful!) so I can easily see saturation effects.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Rough rule of thumb: Keep V / F constant. So a 120V, 60 Hz transformer will work OK with 100V at 50 Hz.

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

Ok, but I guess at around 10,000V at 5kHz ... phhffffft ... tsssss ...

*BAM* :-)
--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

At lower than designed frequencies?

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Joerg, I'm a bit confused. At first I thought you were driving the 'transformer under test' (TUT) from the Amp in reverse. And I was going to ask what you used as a high voltage load.

But then I realized that the TUT would hang on the end of your reverse transformer. (I think)

So how 'bout the first mistaken idea. If I don't have a fancy tranny, could I just run the TUT in reverse? Perhaps with light bulbs as load?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yep. That's because I am designing some gear for mains voltages that are way different or less stable than in the US. Some designs have to withstand >260V for long periods of time. In lesser developed areas the line frequency fluctuates quite a bit because they use local generators. So I needed something that let me test for all this. Of course during one longer test ... *phut* ... gone was the Wavetek generator so had to buy a new one.

You could do that but not when testing a whole unit with rectifier, switcher and whatnot. As for a load, in order to measure where a transformer saturates you do not need that.