This is Bugging Me

About 10 years ago I installed "touch dimmers" inside four metal bodied table lamps in our home. We really like them because they eliminate fumbling for a small switch on the lamp base or bulb socket.

The dimmer in the lamp I sit next to while reading died a few months ago and I replaced it with a new one, a different brand than the original.

After installing the replacement that lamp would occasionally shut down or jump to a different intensity level without my touching it. It would happen perhaps once a week.

I tried tapping the lamp and its shade with a rolled up magazine to see if I'd messed up an left a "loose disconnection" somewhere when I installed the replacement touch dimmer, but that didn't have any effect, the dimmer stayed where it was set.

Thinking the problem might be caused by line spikes I tried reversing the non polarized line plug to see if that would make the problem go away. It didn't.

Last night I found out the cause.

There was a small beetle like flying insect buzzing around inside the lamp shade and when I saw it bump into the metal body of the lamp the dimmer shut off. It bumped it a second time and the dimmer came on at its first intensity.

The bug landed on the wall and I quickly sent it to its reward.

What I don't understand is how a tiny bug like that could have enough body capacitance to activate the dimmer.

Maybe flying around creates enough static charge on its body that when it touched the lamp there's enough discharge to trip the dimmer.

Has anyone else ever experienced this bugging of a touch dimmer?

Thanks Guys,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Maybe the sudden _change_ in capacitance. Some designs automagically cancel out the stray capacitance (tens of pF) then look for changes as small as 0.1pF.

Assuming a spherical bug 0.2" in diamter ;-) we'd have more than half a puff delta.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

jeff_wisnia wrote in news:ig4rtb$4v4$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

maybe it was the Lord of the Flies.... ;-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Wait until it walks across your iPad deleting stuff as it goes.

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Rare bug. I would have at least tried rehabilitation. Evidently he had some reserve capacity - perhaps even untapped potential.

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

Seen these thing trigger with cellphones, CB or ham radios. Try adding some RF bypass to the incoming AC and the touch lead

Reply to
Roupert

Screening should work, either way. ;-)

Reply to