SPICE Smoke Analysis

>Jim Thomps> >>Several Spice variants have "smoke" outputs. ALL Spice variants can >>have macros written for them that do the same thing. > >Ok so far. Name some that have "smoke" outputs. Show me where to >find the macros.

"Features/Benefits: Determines which components are over-stressed using Smoke analysis..."

That took me about a minute to find using Google. You could have easily have found it yourself before repeatedly claiming that the feature does not exist.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

Come on! JosephKK wasn't "repeatedly claiming".

It's funny how Cadence can charge for such "features" when it's trivial to do with a macro in most post processors (Probe in PSpice's case).

...Jim Thompson

I'd move to suggest a "phssst ... *BANG*" output for SPICE.

--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Why? Your design techniques aren't adequate to avoid that ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

No, just for fun. Then again this might get into the wrong hands, of people who want phssst ... *BANG* for a not so noble reason.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

You just gave me an amusing thought...

If it were possible to model failure mechanisms (and the time it takes to fail) you could examine "domino" failures.

...Jim Thompson

Seriously, this would be useful. Sometimes the field failure of a supply section (resulting in a service return) would be acceptable while the failure of a large multi-transistor RF power stage (beaucoup $$$) would not be. So it all must fail in a certain order and with good margin.

SPICE generally does not offer good failure analysis modes because most models are too simple. You can do 250V pulses with 60V FETs and such, stuff that would generate a plume of smoke in real life. The best simulation tools are still the solder iron, a good scope and a nice bottle of brewsky.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

[snip]

That's why I wrote that SOAG (Safe Operating Area Gate) macro to make sure I didn't exceed "hot" electron limits for a very thin gate process.

The really cute part of my own design bag-a-tricks are all the macros AND special-function models (testability functions) that I've written.

...Jim Thompson

I did one chip and part of some others where we exceeded electo-migration limits, big time, simply because we ran out of real estate. When the gasping and choking had stopped I explained that it would not have to live more than a few hours ... "Oh, ok, alright then. But we'd need that in writing."

Yep, the bag-o-tricks is what makes consultants valuable.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Naw. Because his sound effects are *superb!*

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

So Joerg is into noise ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

We shall only make joyful noises. Sez our pastor :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

"The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear!" -- Buddy the Elf

Reply to
Joel Koltner

As you "don your gay apparel"?

Reply to
krw

I remember hearing that when I was a kid ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Who is this "Don" fellow ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

can

Don't know, but apparently he's your drag duds.

Reply to
krw

Can't do that since I'm not gay :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Well, I really did push to get some sound effects added to the Smoke indicator... 8-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

I have been spanked for the error. I just have not found it intrinsic in any package that i have used. To bad i cannot afford the big ticket stuff for personal use.

Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens. --Schiller (from "Die Jungfrau von Orleans")

Reply to
quiettechblue