spice model for counter?

I'm trying to find a spice model for a counter like the 4029 to use in LTSpice. All the information I find seems to say that the 4000 series of cmos is dead which begs the question: What is everyone using now then? PICs and BASIC stamps for everything?

Anyway, I need a counter for LTSpice. I don't really know what I'm doing but if someone can point me in the right direction, I think I could figure things out. I suppose I could make a counter but I would really like to use an accurate spice model for simulation.

Thanks, LL

Do not send email; the address is dead.

Reply to
laylow

I never managed to find a counter model to run under LTSpice. I did put togheter a simple counter once, using the LTSpice D-flip-flops and logic gates

but it was a PITA.

If 4000 series CMOS is dead, nobody has told Farnell - they list pages of the stuff from Fairchild, Philips, TI, ST, and ON Semiconducter, who seem to be similarly ill-informed.

Since 4000B CMOS runs at supply voltages from 3V to 18V, it can be very handy in simple circuits.

PICs and Basic Stamps can replace 74 series logic in some applications, but they are strictly serial processors. If you need parallel processing, programmable logic devices are a more fruitful alternative.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Have you checked out the LTspice group at Yahoo

In the Files section there, one can find the models (& symbols) for many CD4000 devices, including counters.

-- Andy

Reply to
Andy F Z

Thank you Bill. I kept seeing things that say 4xxx shouldn't be used in new designs but they never refered to what should be used. I was getting concerned that the electronics world was going to obsolete everything by the time I learned about it.

Reply to
laylow

Yes, I did check but I was only looking for 4029, 4510, or 4516 at the time. After reading your reply I found that they do indeed have other counters. I finally downloaded the cd4000 files and figured out how to use them. I am working with the 4017 now but I still wish the 4029 was available so that I could count down. Maybe I'll find a way to edit the 4017 into a 4029 but I think that is probably beyond me right now. Maybe I'll ask at Yahoo.

Thanks, LL

Reply to
laylow