speaker source

Anyone know of a reasonable source of speakers? I'm talking individual units, not wall-mount modules. Digikey and Mouser have a limited selection, and Radio Shack seems to be out of the market for those. My google-fu was insufficient to find the components without the plethora of pre-built units or motivational speakers.

I'm looking for something in the 1-10 watt range, that fits in a 1.8" (46mm) wide slot, with reasonable low frequency response. Only need a pair. I've got a pair of "notebook" speakers, but they sound really tinny, so I'm trying to find something better.

(and yes, I know it's not my amp's design - I put my stereo's speakers on it and they sound fine)

DJ

Reply to
DJ Delorie

I did a quick search (I don't use Google ;) and found a few places like:

The prices are *all* over the place. ;-)

Oh, that's tiny. Are you going to get reasonable bass response from something that small?

;-)

--
  Keith
Reply to

I saw tons of those at a local warehouse outlet. Kinda like for TV's. There may be a distributor who specializes in small speakers, but for the most part, look in electronic surplus. All Electronics, etc.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Well, that's a good question. I've got to think about speaker size, enclosure design, and electronics and see just how far I can get before I have to punt and go with one big speaker instead of two smaller ones. The target device is a bedside alarm clock, and most are monaural anyway.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

I bought my Vifa tweeters from Denmark at

However, I don't know if they'll have what you're looking for.. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Vuild the speaker into the night stand. Maybe a radio or optical link inbetween. ;-)

--
  Keith
Reply to

You should haf got her a box of candy.

-- John

Reply to
John O'Flaherty

Oh man...that was so lame it was funny :) D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

I said to check surplus houses. If you want small speakers then its best to go where they are. That pretty much dictates ordering large quantities from a Chinese, Japanese, or other manufacturer. They would give you specs or get a custom design.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Yup, I've been checking those.

I need two ;-)

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Thanks :-) (hobbles off...)

-- John

Reply to
John O'Flaherty

Anything like these little ovals?

greg

Reply to
GregS

That would work if they shorter dimension (height in that photo) was

2" or less.
Reply to
DJ Delorie

Do you mean 1.8 inch in diameter, or front to back thickness?

I doubt that you'd find anything more than 300 milliwatts real power in a 2 inch speaker. I guess that would equate to about 10 watts PMPO.

Try the repair oriented distributors like MCM. Check on repairfaq.org. Somebody was mentioning sources for speakers in rec.radio.shortwave a month or five ago, too. dig, dig, dig ...

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

They are definately less than 2 inches. Might contact the owner. It could be of the same lot I saw at the discount store.

I was working on a boom box one time trying to fix the woofer. The woofer ws actually about a 2 inch driver. It was inside the matrix, very similar to the Bose system, which has a patent i believe. It made remarkable bass, but the boost finally got to the little driver, which made the tinsel leads fail.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Diameter. Or an oval, with 1.8" being the smaller axis. It's for an alarm clock, I'm trying to fit one speaker on each side of the case (stereo). Most alarm clocks have one big speaker in the top (mono).

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Try looking for replacment car stereo speakers.

If you're trying for stereo in a small box, you could try the matrix method that I think someone else mentioned. I first heard that in an early Sony boombox about 1973. There's three speakers with L+R in the center, -R on the left, and -L on the right. This spreads out the stereo image so that it sounds like it's coming from beyond the borders of the cabinet.

The cabinet in this case as a trapazoidal prism standing on end with the main speaker in the center, and the side speakers in the slanted sections.

top view ------------------- \\ / location of \\-R -L/ location of virtual left \\_____L+R_____/ virtual right speaker speaker

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

I finally found a vendor for bare drivers:

from this intermediary:

with this search string:

squawker  manufacturer   -party  -birds

--
 JosephKK
 Click to see the full signature

you want "loudspeaker drivers". of course that term gets you all sorts of audiofool websites...

small and deep don't come together.

--
Bye.
   Jasen
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jasen

OP has not been asking for deep / subwoofer performance, just something that does not sound tinny. As a reference compare the sound of several notebook computers, some are tinny and some sound decent. Of course the sound also includes the effects of the "enclosure" and any active equalization used.