"Space Command"

If I'm not mistaken, the first Zenith TV remote controls worked by plucking a tuning fork, which the TV presumably detected using a microphone and a bandpass filter.The great advantage being that the remote needed no batteries.

Now, with the onset of warm weather I have set up some our fans, one of which comes with a three button remote control. I hate digging up and buying batteries for remotes.

So, I was wondering if it would be possible to convert the remote into a tuning fork actuating remote, using something like a PLL to detect which button was pressed Where could I get such tuning forks? Or could I sacrifice a harmonica to get reeds that vibrate when plucked?

Reply to
spamtrap1888

Yes. I recall one with two (or three?) metal "rods" that were individually struck (depending on what you wanted to do). IIRC, there was not a "channel up" *and* "channel down" but, rather, "next channel" (with a motorized channel knob that "stepped" to the next channel with an amusingly mechanical sound -- with a sort of "mechanical echo" after each step)

You could, of course, use rechargeables. Remotes tend not to consume batteries at a very high rate -- especially for things like fans! We have an (indoor) fan whose remote's batteries have

*never* been changed :-/

I suspect you will find it "mechanically challenging" to get something comparable to the old Zenith remotes packaged into some convenient-sized form. IIRC, the remotes weren't particularly *small* -- despite having just two (three?) buttons!

I suspect something similar could be done with a "dog whistle" and very low data rate "pulse code modulation" -- once to toggle on/off; twice for speed change; etc. This could be done entirely in hardware.

But, you might be better served adapting the existing remote so that it can sit in a "charging cradle" when not in use (if you don't want to physically remove/replace *rechargeable* batteries!).

And, there's always: "Clap On!! Clap Off!!" :>

Reply to
Don Y

Great advantage? I have a zillion remote controls. I can't remember the last time I had to change the batteries in any of them.

Of course, it's possible. But it'll cost you more than a lifetime supply of batteries and hiring someone to come in and change 'em for you.

The real question is whether it's rational or just plain crazy talk.

Put that much thought and effort into being nice to the wife and your reward will be much greater. Say the right words and maybe she'll keep your battery topped off.

Or, you could just use your computer to find one

mike

spamtrap1888 formulated on Sunday :

And who is going to convert the Infra Red Receiver in the fan to a sonic receiver to listen for your unrealistic remote control???

--
John G
Reply to

The ones I saw looked like a set of mini-chimes. They had a set of round rods, suspended in felt suspensions, each struck by its own small hammer. By their sizes, maybe 3mm x 40-70mm, you could estimate the resonant frequencies. I can't remember being able to hear any clear musical note from them.

As a more modern approach you could use RFID tactics (power the remote from an emitted field), or use a standard IR remote but run off scavenged power (solar, rectified r.f., thermoelectric nuclear, etc.).

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Some day they'll remind you with white fuzz coming out where the battery lid is.

Or she'll get used to that and from then on always wants to be treated like a princess :-)

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

You'd think that a decent lithium battery would give 20 year life, like some of the smoke detectors do now.

 Click to see the full signature

I'd think the bigger issue is modifying the (existing) *remote*! :>

The remote for our (indoor) fan is pretty small -- barely large enough to hold the two AAA cells. And, has a small, animated display so you can see the animated fan spin (the animation actually changes speed!), note whether it is oscillating, etc. (of course, you should be able to see these things by looking at the actual *fan*... but, I suspect some marketeer figured the display made the whole thing "better", somehow!)

[imagine a remote control for the lights in your room having a display to tell you if the lights are on or off... :-/ ]
Reply to
Don Y

The funkiest thing I ever saw were the Bell System's experience with push button dialing. The very first test sets plucked reeds to generate the tones in the late 1940's.

Yep. Even alkalines should last until they die from self-discharge, mostly.

Hey, let's see. Grabbing and measuring a random remote, she leaks an Iq of ... ta-dah, 0.6uA. The keys fail faster than that.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Then you call up duracell and tell 'em their battery destroyed your remote and they'll pay for a new one...no questions asked. ;-)

Sure!!! Wouldn't you like to be always treated like a prince? What's the downside of keeping each other happier? If I'd done more of that, and less messing with electronics, I'd have had a happier existence.

Reply to
mike

You betcha... Use colored leds to pulse the code. Hold up a mirror with a color filter in front to activate the function.

Reply to
mike

Good idea. A time-based coding would avoid the need for filters or colors.

Years ago I made a whistle-operated switch--you whistled an FSK pattern, then a data bit for ON or OFF. It was a caveman's remote control. Oh, and a filter--only engineers could operate it.

Spamtrap's operating fans though--the noise may jam audio-based controls.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Would they design a new one if the destroyed remote was non-standard and has become unobtanium? :-)

Sure, but then none of the honey-do list items would get accomplished. Because I'd be sitting on my keister all day long and occasionally ask my servants to bring me a beer ...

Or a lot of debt from all the bling-bling purchases :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The problem is another kind of leakage, the white and brown stuff which then progresses to devour traces and other essentials. I've had several cases where batteries were perfectly fine in voltage and the unit was working, only to discover during checklist batt replacement that they had already substantially leaked. So now I no longer leave batteries in for 10 years but only five.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Alzheimer's?

Michael A. Terrell

Must be. My DISH remote batteries last ~6mos.

Reply to
krw

Too bad they don't make remotes that use 'D' cells. ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

I think they did:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Hell, I'd be happy with AA cells. In fact there should be prison time for designing appliances with AAA.

Reply to
krw