Re: Magnavox ZV450MW8A Remote Control Fix?

I have had this DVD/VCR combo unit for over 3 years now, and would like to find

out if anyone has found a 3rd party remote control that can be used with it, or if the factory has a remote with upgraded software.

>The device is top quality and the manual is excellent, but the remote is so

complicated and non-intuitive that if you don't use it every day, you have to go back to the manual, even after this long time.

>The manual does leave out some basic steps -- like how to set the record speed

(which they call "mode"). I'm fairly good with electronics (servicing industrial electronics is my business) and took me a good year before I could make basic settings without looking it up.

>Most of the features can't be done from the device and must be done via the

remote control which is cryptic. It has way too many buttons, even for a combo unity, and has tiny labels that can't be read in a darkened room. If you hit a wrong button, sometimes it is impossible to figure out how to return the device to normal use without digging out the manual again. My manual is well worn and has many notes scribbled in it now.

>One problem is that when you are using the timer, you have to turn the device

off and on with a button other than the ON/OFF button. If your lovely wife comes in and used ON/OFF, it disables the timer, and must be reset again with the special non-ON/OFF button.

>It is a real shame that such a fine device from a good manufacturer has such a

poor user interface. A better designed remote would completely change the usability.

>Bob

I've tried various "universal" remotes. The Logitech Harmony series...

seem best, though still lacking.

I still prefer the remotes all-in-a-row on the "foot" table, plus a flashlight ;-) ...Jim Thompson

[...]

I bought three Radio Shack 15-100 for about $7 each when they were discontinued. They can be programmed for up to eight devices, and have an LCD display. The replacement remote for my 10" LCD HD 'Venturer' TV was $39, and I only paid $75 for the TV when it was new.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

Thanks, fellers. The DVD/VCR is in one unit with one remote which is = extremely non-intuitive.=20

For example... two different buttons to turn it off or on. If you use = the wrong one, you're dead and no way to tell which one you just hit. = Separate buttons for DVD and VCR but easy to hit the wrong one and = nothing to tell you you're in the wrong mode. Easy to change recording = speed without knowing it until you have recorded a full DVD and missed = the last 4 hours of the program.... =20

The remote is a real piece of junk. I've had it for 3 years and still = suffering with it.

I figured all remotes these days are like this until I bought Toshiba = TV. Nice readable buttons, lots of extra features, never need the = manual. Granted it's a TV only, but, like Jim T says, I wish I could = separate the Magnavox VCR and DVD functions into 2 separate remotes.

Reply to
Guv Bob