Sound Recording ChipSet?

I want to make a small device that will record basic sound snippets, for example, depending on the size of the memory, 100-500 3-5 seconds sound snippets. It needs to be real small, possibly the size of a matchbook.

Any ideas on where to look, I have googled for sound chips and found way tooo much. I am thinking there must be some type of chip that I could i/f with memory to record and store the data, no playback in the device as that would be done in the computer. It would need to be able to record in a format that could be played on a PC, quality should be good but not CD/FM quality.

Thanks!

Jim Douglas

Reply to
Jim Douglas

Microcontroller with fast on-chip ADC, and external serial flash memory or large eeprom - e.g. PIC16F818 + ST M25Pxx would probably do it easily

Reply to
Mike Harrison