Smart Phones: Best PHONE CALL Sound Quality

Smart Phones: Best PHONE CALL Sound Quality

I googled best smart phone sound quality, and all
I got were 1,000 articles about how good MUSIC
sounded when played on them!  >:(

So if you own a smartphone(Blackberry, iPhone,
Galaxy, etc), pleaae briefly comment on how you
feel it performs for you on PHONE CALLS.  I.E.:
How others sound to you, how you sound to
others, drop-outs, missed words,etc.

Thanks!

Re: Smart Phones: Best PHONE CALL Sound Quality

We all grew up with crystal-clear full duplex phones.  How they got us
to switch to these crappy VOX walkie-talkie things is beyond me.

Use a land line if you want quality.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

One way to get answers might be to call a cellphone dealer (they are more u
biquitous than Starbucks these days) and tell them you are hard of hearing.
 (if that term is unfamiliar - hearing loss)

Unfortunately that won't tell you anything about the transmit quality. Howe
ver if it records video and gives an audio spec for that you can reasonably
 assume the front mic is the same as the back mic. I think. Maybe.

Re: Smart Phones: Best PHONE CALL Sound Quality
n't need or want a smart phone but do want a cellphone. Those vary as well.
 One I had I could not understand almost at all. And then add to that the n
oise cancelling on the person talking to me it was practically impossible t
o use at all.
 ubiquitous than Starbucks these days) and tell them you are hard of hearin
g. (if that term is unfamiliar - hearing loss)
wever if it records video and gives an audio spec for that you can reasonab
ly assume the front mic is the same as the back mic. I think. Maybe.

How about some brands, folks?

I'll add input to my own query: IPhone
phone sound quality is terrible. Myself
and the other call always asking each
other to repeat themself.  Lots of drop-
outs.  Part of the problem is that
certain generations of the iPhone
integrated the antenna into the perimeter
(meta) frame - a la iPhone 4.  Jobs in
no uncertain terms stated NO MASTS OR
EXTERNAL antennae! We are suffering the
consequences of such design decisions
now.

Any Droid/Galaxy owners out there?
Blackberry?

Re: Smart Phones: Best PHONE CALL Sound Quality
So you mean dropouts ? I thought you meant microphone and speaker quality.

Of course then some dropouts are just the noise canceller working. If dropouts are the issue, look at the signal meter when they are happening.

9:14 snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

"So you mean dropouts ? I thought you meant microphone and speaker quality.

Of course then some dropouts are just the noise canceller working. If dropouts are the
issue, look at the signal meter when they are happening. "

I mean *all* issues affecting the ability to conduct
a phone call on a smart(non-flip or candy bar) phone.

Re: Smart Phones: Best PHONE CALL Sound Quality

** Nearly all the issues with using a smart phone are environmental and/or
user related - not the fault of the phone. When the call is from one smart
phone to another, the problems become magnified and neither party is able t
o say who's phone is the bad performer at a particular time.

Assuming that you can fix any of the issues by buying a different phone is
plain dumb.

....  Phil

Re: Smart Phones: Best PHONE CALL Sound Quality

** Nearly all the issues with using a smart phone are environmental and/or
user related - not the fault of the phone. When the call is from one smart
phone to another, the problems become magnified and neither party is able t
o say who's phone is the bad performer at a particular time. "

Realllly??  I had far fewer dropouts and garbled exchanges on 'regular'
cell phones than on smart ones.  And if one end of the call was a land line
,
the call fidelity, compared to between smart phones, was closer to that
of a 100watt per channel Pioneer amp and 4ft tall speakers!  Seriously,
purely as a PHONE, I can attest the iPhone sounds TERRIBLE, be it
my iPhone 4 or my wife's 5.

So just how are these issues "user-related", pray tell?

"Assuming that you can fix any of the issues by buying a different phone is
 plain dumb. "

I'm not assuming that at all.  Just collecting input
out there to see if I'm alone or not on the issue
of smart phone call quality in general.

....  Phil "

*By the way, if we experience a thread-crap, please
do not let it discourage continuance of this
conversation.  Such folks have no life.

Re: Smart Phones: Best PHONE CALL Sound Quality

r user related - not the fault of the phone. When the call is from one smar
t phone to another, the problems become magnified and neither party is able
 to say who's phone is the bad performer at a particular time. "

 ** Yeeeeppp !!

  ( snip pile of drivel )

** Whatever I say, you will claim that you do not do that.

   Which is stupid, cos I cannot discuss YOU.

** Far as I can tell, from calls made to my land line phone, the audio qual
ity is fine - providing the caller has the phone to their ear and is locate
d in a quiet place with a good signal.

....   Phil

Re: Smart Phones: Best PHONE CALL Sound Quality
Phil Allison wrote: "** Whatever I say, you will claim that you do not do that. "

Try me.

Re: Smart Phones: Best PHONE CALL Sound Quality
ality >is fine - providing the caller has the phone to their ear and is loc
ated in a >quiet place with a good signal. "

I used to send audio from an amp right into the lines. Like "Yeah, you wann
a hear this tune ?" and then I would connect the speaker wires to the phone
 wires. Some were actually impressed with the quality, which is not surpris
ing because most telephones around here still had carbon microphones.

Re: Smart Phones: Best PHONE CALL Sound Quality
e,

Dropouts are not a loose connection. And it almost is not directly related
to loss of signal, it might be traffic. And then you have spread spectrum a
nd multipath which necessitate error correction. And when the errors add up
 too much it has no choice but to stop. You don't want it to try to figure
out what you were going to say next. That is for our greatgrandkids.

So, OK the speaker quality is one issue. The microphone issue is a totally
different thing. You are asking this thing to pick up your voice accurately
 from the side of your face. And cancel out the noise when you are at a foo
tball game or racetrack or whatever.

Or any noisy environment. I think the audio amps in these things are more o
f a battery issue than the RF transmitter.

But we do not need it that loud and maybe you need an app. LOL I NEVER thou
ght I would say that. But if you take and reset the audio parameters on you
r phone to your liking that would work.

If the chipset can do it of course and maybe that is the deeper question of
 your question. Which phone allow you to have control over the audio proper
ties, OF PHONE CALLS. If any do that is what you want. Change the settings
of the noise canceller. Maybe you could have an EQ for the earpiece. (earpi
ece, NOT the speaker)

Re: Smart Phones: Best PHONE CALL Sound Quality
On Sat, 21 May 2016 10:25:39 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

I've also noticed the same problem.  I have customers, mostly on
Verizon, with the latest iPhone 6 mutations and they still sound
awful.  I was a bit perturbed so I investigated.  They had VoLTE
turned off.
<https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/enable-volte-iphone-6/
<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203078
Like magic, the audio quality dramatically improved on the various
iPhone 6 handsets.  The iPhone 4 and 5 do not support VoLTE so they
still sound awful.

In 2010, I did my own test for the "grip of death" problem on the
iPhone 4:
<http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/cellular/cell-test.htm
Steve Jobs was right that all phones exhibit the problem, but the
iPhone 4 was the worst.  Teaching people how to hold an iPhone with 2
fingers has proven to be an exercise in futility.

Incidentally, if you miss that 1980's analog cellphone audio quality,
maybe this will help:
<http://www.thumbsupuk.com/Products/80s_Retro_iPhone_Case
or maybe just add a megaphone:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=cell+phone+megaphone&tbm=isch
<http://enandis.com/en/designs/megaphone.html
or a BlueGoof retro handset:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=bluetooth+retro+handset&tbm=isch
Re: Smart Phones: Best PHONE CALL Sound Quality
On Fri, 20 May 2016 16:24:29 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

No, you want the best VOICE quality.  Sounds, noise, music, test
tones, and speech are all different.  Todays digital smartphones use
CODECs that are optimized for voice.  Some work better than others.
Some sound great with a good BER (bit error rate) but fall apart when
the BER climbs.  Some do a good job of perceptual voice coding for
mens voices, but not so good with womens.  All cellular CODECs are a
compromise between bandwidth and channel loading (number of
conversations per unit bandwidth).  You can have lots of
conversations, but everyone sounds awful.  Or you can have fewer
conversations, everyone sounds great, but the cellular provider is
complaining to the FCC that they need more frequencies.

All this is not anything inherent in the design of a particular phone.
Under the covers, the CODECs and radios are fairly similar.  The
difference is the cellular vendor, who controls the available
bandwidth, channel loading, CODEC used, power per carrier, and various
parameters that affect voice quality.  You should not be looking for
the best instrument, but rather the best carrier (which incidentally
varies regionally even for a single carrier).

Search for "Smartphone review site":
<https://www.google.com/#q=smartphone+review+sites
Plenty to choose from.  What you'll get are anecdotal reviews and
"crowd source" compilations of reviews that are generally worthless.
Self-selected surveys are even worse.  In most cases, most of the
factors that affect voice quality are missing.  For example, BlueGoof
headsets that mangle the audio, users yelling into the microphone,
congestion causing high error rates, and unrealistic expectations. The
last is the most common.

Check the various phone and provider review sites.

Also, since you posted this to a repair newsgroup, I suggest you check
iFixit repairability scores, which will give you a good clue as to how
well the phone is built, and whether it will survive its typical 18-24
month lifetime.
<https://www.ifixit.com/smartphone-repairability

Re: Smart Phones: Best PHONE CALL Sound Quality
Jeff Liebermann wrote: "No, you want the best VOICE quality.
Sounds, noise, music, test..."

That's what I *thought* I was asking
for opinions on!  Which phones had the
best sound quality for PHONE CALLS!

Re: Smart Phones: Best PHONE CALL Sound Quality

Hey Thekma,
There were so many choices for best sound quality smart phone. But it depends on your budget. If you are looking for some reasonable good sound quality phone try Alcatel Onetouch X1. Its a very attractive phone with excellent sound quality .
see this https://www.buymobile.com.bd/Alcatel%20Onetouch%20X1%207053D

Re: Smart Phones: Best PHONE CALL Sound Quality

I just put together a system with a PC running Asterisk/FreePBX and Snom 300
phones.  There's a guy selling Snom 300's for $5 on eBay.  While it may not
have quite broadcast studio sound, it is way better than the analog PBX we
had before.  I'm really happy with them.

Jon

Re: Smart Phones: Best PHONE CALL Sound Quality

Thanx for suggesting , but for VOIP stuff I prefer to check this site they provide best deal for Wireless devices and accessories. https://www.buymobile.com.bd/

Site Timeline