SOS Mentor Graphics

Can anybody explain to me about mentor graphics? Where can I possibly find a manual for beginners. Now I am using Mentor Graphics for extracting information. As my senior had told me to do, I needed to open the design manager. Then I needed to select the file I want to view, say: Design Object, I don't know, and then I needed to go to Board Process by right mouse click. Then I saw Board Design Process. Then I needed to do view point latch. Then I need to execute Board Design. There poped out Board Design Flow. Then I needed to execute and complete Schematic Entry and Layout Place & Route. After that I needed to executesynchronization. Actually I just do not know why I needed to do all this. The purpose is I want to put the layout and artwork diagrams together for some service maunals. Can anyone show me the starting point to learn Mentor Graphics Platform. It is working in a network. Please

Reply to
Myauk

Myauk,

"Mentor Graphics" is a company that has many difference products. Could you tell us which one you're using? (Even for something as apparently simple as PCB design they have 3 different products!) After you tell us that, you might re-post your question to sci.electronics.cad. Truth be told, though, for relatively high-end software such as you're using, I've had better luck on forums specifically targeted towards the product in question -- on Usenet here the audience is nowhere near as "focused."

You might also Google for "name of software you're using" and, e.g., "tutorial"; I remember finding an Ansoft Designer tutorial on the web that was much better than what came with the product itself.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Thanks Joel

Gradually I found that the product I am using is Mentor Graphics Software executing under Sun SPARC Solaris in association with Hummingbird.

They use Hummingbird ConnectivityTM, containing Hummingbird Neighbourhood for Windows 2000/XP/2003 Version 11.0 for working on the data stored in server from client computer, Exceed on Demand for running application Mentor Graphics handled by Sun SPARC Solaris Server on WindowsXP Platform.

So generally I understand the working scheme of the environment I am working on.

I am an electronics engineer and I just wanted to specialize in Design and Development of Mixed Signal and Power Electronics.

Anyway I need to learn the EDA environment too.

The problem is how much I need to go in depth in these software applications while I still have to learn the detailed design of Electronics

By the way Thank You Very Much for your good care and kindness on me.

Regards

Myauk

Joel Kolstad wrote:

Reply to
Myauk

It's better to put the answer below and snip the parts a bit to facilitate the understanding.

I've worked since '85 with that software, but it is a specialized version for Hybrid design. You should get familiar with the schematic entry and the simulation module (M-Spice), but the board design and the libraries are usually done by a specialized technician. So a rough overview in that area is more than enough. I love the SW, though the simulation part is not that easy and it's better to have a colleage demonstrate and help you in the beginning.

--
ciao Ban
Apricale, Italy

So far you've talked about the Computer and Operating Systems (and Network connection software) but you haven't mentioned what Joel asked, i.e. "What Mentor Graphics Program are you using?".

None of what you said specifies which of (I know of at least 3) the PCB Board layout programs Mentor Graphics sells.

And most people around here would prefer that you bottom post rather than top post as you were doing.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Sorry

I needed to open Hummingbird Exceed onDemand software first.

It has a command editor which has a title: Platform V2.7.

Then I have to choose the PCB Technology.

After choosing the PCB Technology (class 5 wave, class 3 wave, etc..), there comes the Design Manager.

By clicking Help>more help>on version; I found Falcon Framework v8.10_3.1.

Then there comes the FlowXpert board process, if I wish to synchronize the lay out and Schematic.

And if I wish to print Lay out + Art work; there comes fablink.

If I want a separate artwork, I need to create art data from fablink and then, I need to type gerberview -f from the command editor.

I do not know how the softward of Mentor Graphics organized!

Regards

Robert wrote:

Reply to
Myauk

Bottom Posting:

With FlowXpert it's a good chance you're using Mentor Graphics Expedition Board layout package. Though it's still possible someone has hooked up FlowXpert to a PADS install.

This is a set of Forums for the Mentor Graphics PCB packages. You'll still need to know if you're using Expedition or PADS to post to the right one.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Thanks for the link.

How should I find out whether the software is Expedition or PADS??

Regards

Robert wrote:

Reply to
Myauk