Some things ya wish you never said

For data I see that fairly commonly here, and also used below floor. sometimes with velro ties.

Not for for power though

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

MoCA 2.0 uses quite high frequencies in the 500-1650 MHz range, so cable losses can be a problem in long runs. The RG-58 is more than twice as lossy (expressed in dB/m) than RG-8. At the upper end of the frequency range, the RG-58 losses are nearly 1 dB/m so the maximum length 10Base2 cable (185 m) would have a loss of over 100 dB :-).

So I guess that you have to use much shorter 10Base2 cables if you intend to use MoCA.

Reply to
upsidedown

Hopefully, the RG-8 you mention above is a typo and that you really meant RG-6.

I use RG-6/u as in CATV coax. The loss at 1GHz is about 6.2 dB/100ft. RG-58a/u as in cheapernet is about 21.5 dB/100ft loss at 1GHz. The difference of 15.3 dB is 33.8 times as lossy. The losses for RG-6/u vary somewhat with the specific cable construction, so the 6.2 dB/100ft is not exact. Still, it suggests that RG-58a/u would be useless for MoCA due to the loss.

If you read what I scribbled, I don't use RG-58a/u. I discovered long ago that RG-6/u works much better than Cheapernet (RG-58a/u), even with the impedance mismatch loss. RG-6/u is also what is specified for MoCA.

10base2 runs at 10 mbits/sec. I had one 10base2 installation, running on RG-6/u at about 900ft. Note that this was without any taps and using only two transceivers, one at each end of the cable. I think (not sure) that most of the energy was concentrated around 10 MHz, making the loss at 10 MHz, not 1GHz important for 10base2. At 10 Mhz, that loss is about 1.4 dB/100ft, which is about 4.2 dB for the 328ft official maximum segment length. Unofficially, with specialized line extenders or some media converters, it can go much farther.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com