for

=20

Thank you Jeorg.

Reply to
JosephKK

message=20

Clever yes. But not really "wave" soldering any more. Maybe call it jet soldering. Though the surfers might object.

Reply to
JosephKK

There are three methods that I am aware of. The first is to hand solder the through-hole parts. I don't like this method for quality reasons. The selection of the other two methods depends on the proximity of the TH solder pads to the SMD pads. If there is enough clearance, then you can get a selective wave pallet machined that covers the SMD parts, but has openings under the TH parts. You put the board in the pallet, and run the whole thing through a standard wave solder process. This is quick and relatively inexpensive in volume. If the TH pads are very close to the SMD pads, then a robotic X-Y selective wave soldering machine gives the best results.

================================

Greg Neff VP Engineering

*Microsym* Computers Inc. snipped-for-privacy@guesswhichwordgoeshere.com
Reply to
Greg Neff

You are welcome. The only good thing that came out of this meeting were very delicious bagels :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Speaking of that, how do they do SMT boards with parts on both sides? You certainly wouldn't want to wave-solder one of them - all the parts would end up in the solder!

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

They glue down the parts on the bottom side of the board first.

At least that's how they used to do it; I wouldn't be surprised if these days they just do two passes, flipping the board over inbetween, given how few through-hole parts many boards now have.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

We paste, place, and reflow the bottom first. Then repeat for the top. Small parts stay on the bottom through surface tension. Big parts might fall off the bottom on the second pass through the oven, so they're glued down.

John

The bottom side parts are glued on for bottom side wave solder process with SMT parts attached.

They get picked and placed onto little stripes of thermal cure glue, then it gets cured, then the top side paste gets wiped, and then the pick and place top side gets done, and then it gets a reflow pass, and then it goes through the thru hole placement step, and then, it finally is ready for a wave solder pass.

Reply to
lurch

Cool! :-)

Thnaks! Rich