solar panel output degradation?

boB wrote in news:m4haved832vhojmncidqnob5a8c1b2gpbn@

4ax.com:

Crimp it, *then* solder it.

This is one instance where the practice would be a good choice. Definitely makes for a 'gas tight' connection.

Oxidation and loosening within the crimp is then no longer an issue.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I was wondering if anyone had permanently installed spray nozzles on each panel for easy cleaning, and a quick search found this:

Their system uses a programmable timer and includes a soap injector with 5 gal reservoir that should last 6 months per fill. They recommend rinsing every 2 or 3 nights, and soaping up every two weeks or so. They don't say anything about freezing weather, and of course you have to submit a request to get a price quote. On their residential page they say something about costing cents per watt, so a system for Win would be 8500 watts x $0.05/watt (say) = $425ish, plus installation. They also say that if you install at the same time the rest of your system is installed it also qualifies for the tax credit. Seems like a good idea if your panels get dirty fast or you are forgetful about cleaning them or if they are hard to access.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Most do /not/ have sufficient other space.

You are being myopic - again.

And there's the evidence of your myopia.

Most people don't have room for even one tree.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yes, absolutely ! But this incompatibility has to do with the male-female connections from different manufacturers.

Reply to
boB

But solar installers aren't going to solder as well as crimp anyway.

The crimps themselves are pretty good typically. Sometimes you need a special tool to unplug the maile from female because they lock. But if those M-F don't fit right, together, they can (and do) heat up.

Reply to
boB

Here is a study of fires:

One of the main problems is that "for safety reasons", lots of DC isolation switches are required in various places, and the contact resistance in these increases over the years, to the point of sometimes starting fires, if the switch is not actuated regularly. Therefore if someone is going up to clean the panels regularly, then at the same time (after shutting off the inverter to turn off the current in the panels) it is worth actuating all of the isolation switches a few times, to clean the contacts.

Reply to
Chris Jones

It might be better to just cut off the MC4s and spot weld the wires together. My panels are not removable anyway.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Big reductions in efficiency due to dust:

Klaus Kragelund

This would be a perfect application for a DIY solution. Provided one is comfortable and safe on roofs and ladders, plus using proper fall gear.

In Winter the remaining water should be sucked back out of the spray system. Gravity will provide much of the service.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

But, of course, the Ferrari has to be clean :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On the other hand:

edward.ming.lee

I also don't see any visible degradation. If anything, the recent peaks look a little higher than the earlier years' peaks.

What impresses me most is the remarkable constancy of your insolation. I lost interest in a solar-thermal project one winter some years ago, after measuring 3-5% of full-sun insolation during week after week of cloudy days. I found dense-but-not-dark clouds to be surprisingly attenuating.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Exactly. Unless a large covered area or some other high-WAF feature is built and solar put on its roof. Then the total cost shoots way up. Of course, if this extra structure could be turned into a man cave with an integrated hobby brewery this would be a very different story ...

Where should solar be put here if not on the roof?

This is how most newly developed properties in suburbia are in California and probably also in other high-cost regions.

:-)

Or the yard is full of trees where solar would simply not work.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

In America such room is more common. But cutting down all of one's trees to gain better access to their 'green' power source seems to be missing the point.

Solar just isn't going to ever supply more than six or eight hours' electrical needs a day, not until we have viable bulk storage. Which, protestations to the contrary notwithstanding, we do not currently have.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

=1

=1

Looks like you're overcomplicating things with too much detail. The simplis tic approach is to simply compare total annual kWh produced from year to ye ar. And there's no reason you can't do this for each month, 12 data points per year, and look for a degradation trend in that data if any. Of course t he significance of the yearly time frame has to do with our revolution arou nd the sun and cyclic nature of weather patterns .

ar-panels Why would you care about actual module degradation as measured under so-cal led standard testing conditions. You installed the panels to produce energy under your environmental conditions. I suppose you could partition the kWh totalizing in your installation to sort of establish a relative reference used to diagnose a hard failure. I do know the big players in the commercial sector, who are installing CdTe panels by the millions (literally) in any single farm, which is a pretty b ig sample size, publicize a degradation rate of 0.5%.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

4.5 here. I.e. 4.5 watts per day for each solar watt.

We will just run the freezer 9 to 3 everyday, and use ice to store energy.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Really? Cutting down trees to install solar is "missing the point"?

I hope someone tells the solar farms about that!

It would seem some people are just too myopic to see what others can do.

--

  Rick C.

  +- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Yes. Cutting down all the trees and turning the world into a shiny black solar parking lot doesn't seem very "green."

Or maybe you're proposing ill-considered zero-order solutions to people who routinely consider second and third-order effects.

Here, you're not able to imagine that others might not have room for panels, and you're not able to imagine the harm done the natural world by cutting down trees.

But go ahead, cut down your trees.

Maybe you can turn your neighborhood into this Gogglescape: https://www.blog.google/outreach-initiatives/sustainability/why-were-putting-16-million-solar-panels-tennessee-and-alabama/

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

New residences in Califiornia are now required to have solar panels.

The grid stability issue is going to get interesting.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

So what does your hyperbole have to do with reality?

What zero order solution would that be?

Please show me where I said any of that.

I'll take it over this any day.

"South Carolina Spent $9 Billion to Dig a Hole in the Ground and Then Fill It Back In"

Yes, some people are very myopic.