Software PLL (SPLL)

If a simple feedback PLL is such a good solution, why isn't it used more often for general frequency estimation and interpolation problems?

IMHO. YMMV.

--
rhn A.T nicholson d.0.t C-o-M
Reply to

oh, here I was thinking PLLs abound. best not to mention this to the entire telecommunications and control industries.

I've seen a guy develop a PLL by using an FFT, in a pic. he had learned about FFTs at uni, but never learned about PLLs. the code eventually worked....after a year or so.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

Why would one not think that the use of feedback PLLs abound?

But I note that the use of fft's, autocorrelation and other statistical techniques are also popular for many problems where the analysis of only one fundamental frequency is of interest. Why use one technique and not the other? Where are the limits of applicability for feedback PLLs, and have those limits changed with the order of magnitude changes in MACs per dollar?

IMHO. YMMV.

--
rhn A.T nicholson d.0.t C-o-M
Reply to

My impression is that traditional PLLs have become less useful for carrier and symbol synchronization is wireless communcation systems as they have evolved to burst transmission, which requires quick estimates, and use of capacity approaching codes, which can operate at SNRs that cause PLLs to slip cycles.

John

Reply to
john