So, you are thinking about buying an electric truck... (2023 Update)

Not much. It's cheaper to make them remarkably efficient than it is to provide the heat-sinking and cooling that a less efficient charger would need.

Which need fairly expensive connections tot eh grid to access the power they dispense/

Of course it is, and totally unnecessary in a home charging station - the average vehicle spends 95% of its tie parked, mostly at home. The brief period of rapid charging at a fast charger presumably reflects the limitations of the battery being charged, rather than those of the fast charging station, which will know about the limitations of batteries it charges, even if the owners don't.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Fox News does cater for the more moronic members of their audience, and Sewage Sweeper would be at the more moronic end of that group.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

I must be much less smart than you. You were talking about 85% efficient level 2 charging, but now seem to be talking about level 3 charging. I guess I don't understand your lofty thinking.

My car will charge at up to 72 amps @ 240V, 17.28 kW (actually spec'd at up to 277V, which comes from 480V three phase I believe). Currently sold Teslas charge at up to 48 amps, 11.52 kW.

If you think level 2 is "limiting", why were you talking about it???

Yes, the charging rate is a function of battery temperature, state of charge and probably some other factors that don't change as you charge. The overall shape of the curve vs. charge state is a triangle ramp. Sharply up from 0% to a peak at around 20-25%, then a steady drop to very low numbers toward 100%. The BMS has to manage charge balancing between the cells as the charge approaches 100%. I've seen the charge rate drop to 6 kW and take 10 minutes for that last 1%. I typically don't charge past 80 to 85%.

But there is no 85% efficiency in "home level 2 chargers".

Reply to
Ricky

Puritan-derived capitalism is a weird system, it exists by virtue of people spending money, but it also wants you to feel guilty for spending money.

Basically money is like a points system where the more points you have the more evidence there is that God loves you better than other people with less points.

Reply to
bitrex

You can always depend upon Bozo making a claim without BACKING IT UP!

WHATEVER, dude! You just CAN'T put a super charger in your garage.

The WHOLE discussion, which you didn't follow, was how long it would take to recharge a Hummer at home, i.e. if you arrived with the battery depleted HOW LONG would it take before you could leave again with a full charge. It takes me FIVE MINUTES to fill the tank of my F-250 Super Duty pickup.

Again, you present "facts" without proof - I would expect nothing LESS from you, Bozo!

Reply to
Flyguy

Why would I bother? Most of the people who post here know enough to be aware that this is obviously true and a cretin like you wouldn't accept a more detailed argument because you wouldn't know enough to understand it.

You might be able to, if you could negotiate a high current connection to the grid, or put in something like a Tesla power wall or two to store the energy over a day or two for you to dump into your car or truck rapidly, if you needed to able able to do that. It isn't all that practical, but it would be practicable if you needed it badly enough.

So what? How often do you need to do that, and how much would you be prepared to invest in being able to do that on the rare occasions you might need to?

Why would I waste time giving you a detailed explanation that you couldn't follow, and wouldn't read? Your contemptuous rejection would start at the bald facts and would snip the detail.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

The (pretty young) management at FTX Bitcoin-whatever seemed to think they could spend like they owned the world, but after 50 million in lobbying here, 100 million in Caribbean property there, 125 million in naming rights for a football stadium, a couple office towers and a couple private jets... not long of that and it started to add up to real money, so looks like they eventually have to dig into investor cash to maintain the "lifestyle to which they had become accustomed."

Pretty soon they had spent a billion while likely still feeling like they owned way, way less than the whole world. I guess even a billion bucks doesn't go as far as it used to..

I sometimes wonder how many restaurants and street food stands have been unfairly maligned when the sufferer actually ate the offending food at home. Some bugs can take up to 72 hours to really kick in..

Reply to
bitrex

Going through something similar with my mother currently, once what you want is professional in-home care even a couple hours a day every day at a high quality, being just a millionaire doesn't help that much the money will go fast.

Reply to
bitrex

Money goes very fast at $ 200 to $ 300 per day at some of the nursing homes and rehab places. When all the money is gone then the medicare part will kick in. Some places are ok, but some are real dumps around where I live. Just hope that the wife or I do not wind up in one.

The wife was in a rehab place that was nice for about 3 weeks due to a foot operation. The doctor botched the operation and after another doctor operated on her she had to go to another place as the insurance would not pay for the 'good one'. It would have been $ 350 per day for several weeks. She was sent to a dump (which we did not know how bad it was) and I just took her home after a few days.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

And that is what most people do instead of filing a complaint with the regulating authorities. There are rules and you would be amazed at how responsive the facilities are when they are called on the carpet. I discovered the same thing with electric companies and the state regulating commissions.

If you don't take action, things won't change. Remember, we are part of the baby boom. We are going to flood the facilities when it is our time. We need to take action now to prevent a real disaster.

Reply to
Ricky

Perhaps to regain a smidgen of the credibility that you have totally lost here, Bozo.

Just another one of your fatuous claims that you DON'T BACK UP!

Not often, with my 36 gallon tank, but that could be twice a day on the road - the Hummer would be waiting that long for a tow to the nearest charger.

Again, CREDIBILITY you miserable moron, something you haven't had for YEARS.

Reply to
Flyguy

Sewage Sweeper imagines that he has a worthwhile opinion on other people's credibility. He hasn't got any credibility of his own at all.

That I don't need to bother to back up. You don't know enough to recognise what's obvious.

If you had planned the route, you probably would. Non-idiots would do better.

Sewage Sweeper has delusions of competence and delusions of credibility. In reality - not a realm he inhabits - he's down there with a a and Skybuck Flying in the group's garbage bin.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Deflection, Bozo. You asked WHY and I told you. Now you can't answer - your credibility is SHOT!

I recognize that you can't BACK UP your phony claims.

It is not up to ME to back up YOUR claims, Bozo - that is up to you.

Reply to
Flyguy

You may like to think so. You don't seem to have any idea how utterly worthless your opinions are.

<snipped the rest - Sewage Sweeper's enthusiasm for argument by repeated assertion is a total waste of bandwidth.>
Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

This exchange all began with Bozo claiming you could install a Level 3 Super Charger in your home. After REPEATED requests that he BACK UP that claim, ALL that he could come up with were repeated INSULTS - hey BOZO: BACK UP YOUR CLAIM!!!!!

Reply to
Flyguy

It didn't. That exchange came up later, and what was actually posted was

"> > You just CAN'T put a super charger in your garage." by Sewage Sweeper",

to which I responded with

"> > You might be able to, if you could negotiate a high current connection to the grid, or put in something like a Tesla power wall or two to store the energy over a day or two for you to dump into your car or truck rapidly, if you needed to able able to do that. It isn't all that practical, but it would be practicable if you needed it badly enough. "

This isn't any kind of broad claim about putting a Level 3 Super Charger in your home. As usual, Sewage Sweeper has got the details wrong - if he can't get his own claims right, there's not a lot of point in feeding him a detailed back-up which he'd proceed to text-chop in ways that suited his narrative.

Bill Sloman, Sydney

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

On Friday, December 2, 2022 at 8:30:47 PM UTC-8, Flyguy wrote: ...

Technically, you could, if you have equivalent sized buffer batteries that are slow charged from the grid (or the sun), then fast charge to the EV. Doesn't make sense for home, but they might have to do that for the 24/7 solar truck terminal in Modesto. They only have 6 to 8 hours of sun and most likely the trucks are out partying during the day and charge at night.

Reply to
Ed Lee

That wouldn't be a Level 3 Super Charger, which would have the energy capacity ON CALL to charge a vehicle AT WILL.

Reply to
Flyguy

Hey Bozo, residences are LIMITED to their power connection to the grid, and ARE NOT subject to "negotiation." And for GOOD REASON as the power distribution to homes is designed with these constraints in mind. Furthermore, you can't just go out and buy a Level 3 Super Charger, you must APPLY for one which is, then, subject to an analysis of the traffic flow in that area. And, then, if approved you don't own it - the charger company does.

Reply to
Flyguy

Of course there's always some limitation. You can't ask for a 1,000 MW direct connection to a power plant. But you can get significantly higher power than a standard home. A friend looked into getting three phase 480V to his home to use in his shop. The power company would do it. They just wanted a bunch of money to put it in.

A Super charger is only 150 kW. That would be 300 amps at 480V if it were single phase. I think for three phase, it would be more like 200 amps, but I don't know the conversion factor off the top of my head. I have no doubt I could get that to my home if I pay the installation charge. A neighbor wanted two high end level 2 chargers and they bumped up his service, not that it's in the same league with level 3 chargers.

Reply to
Ricky