SMD Rework Equipment

I am looking to acquire SMD rework equipment. I have BGA and QFN with soldered exposed pads I need to be able to safely replace. The most immediate need is to replace this QFN like package:

I am currently considering these SMD rework systems:

Zephyrtronics ZT-7-MIL:

Metcalf APR-5000-DZ-ML

I would like to hear of any experience with these or any other.

Zephyrtronics has video that attempts to show the use of thermocouples is cumbersome, unreliable, and time consuming:

I would like to hear comments on how accurate that representation is.

Reply to
sepflanze

I understand zip about this type of soldering but this looks like

4k for a glorified hairdryer to me.
Reply to
Paul Colby

I've used this system, It wasnt very good. The hot air pencils tend to blow the smd devices off the board. The Metcal or other rework system would easily trump it. that includes a hair dryer.

Martin Riddle

exposed pads I need to be able to safely replace. The most immediate need is to replace this QFN like package:

cumbersome, unreliable, and time consuming:

I don't do BGA but I would recommend adding Howard Electronics to the comparison shopping list. I've purchased several items with them w/o any problems. They do have some videos linked from their main page, including one addressing BGA rework that's seriously cool. Wish I had a reason to get one... ;-)

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

It looks like the Groatmoor system that we used in the UK back around

1990. It was a glorified hair-dryer, albeit blowing on the board from both sides, and it worked fine. Bulky, but we were working on big boards - triple extended Eurocards - and needed the space around the heated region to accommodate the rest of the board.
--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

We just got a Weller WHA900 hot air system, it was about US $400. I have only used it a few times, and all on leaded parts, but it seems to work well. it has temperature-controlled air and air volume, and doesn't blow a jet blast of air, it is pretty gentle. You can get a fairly wide variety of nozzles for different shape/size packages. They recommend an additional bottome-side pre-heater, which we didn't get as out boards have as many parts on the bottom as the top.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Do-it-yourselfers use ordinary electric cooking pans for the pre- heater, set low. $20-$30 at Target, and they work fine.[*] Pre-heating the board even a little makes a big difference.

[*] It's best to add a heat-spreader if you're going to use it for reflow though--the heat's not that even.
--
Cheers,
James Arthur

Is this heat spreader common kitchenware designed for use with a cooking pa n?

Reply to
sepflanze