Excellent SMD Rework Station

Here's an excellent rework station for your bench. 500 Watt, digital temperature control, fast heating, variable blower fan, automatic shutdown as soon as you put the air gun in the holder, CAD $49.99

This unit puts out a large amount of high temperature air that is concentrated in a small area. You can adjust the volume of air to suit the job. I found many other uses for it, such as heating a large area to a uniform temperature to apply hot glue, and straightening plastic tubing that was curled up. I am very pleased with it, and for $49.99 you can't go wrong. There are other similar units for a much higher price that seem to be the same unit just rebranded.

Here is the Amazon Canada link:

Steve Wilson

Steve Wilson snipped-for-privacy@not.com wrote in news:XnsAD422335CC11idtokenpost@144.76.35.252:

I liked the one I used once that heated the pcb from the underside as well, offsetting the jump to reflow on the target device.

You can also preheat the entire assembly to 60 or 80 C and that also offsets the jump required. Such steps reduce the thermal failures such events can (and do) cause.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Confirm, they're good. I have the same thing cheaper from Aliexpress

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Does the front panel switch actually switch the mains?

RL

Reply to
legg

I would spend a little more and get the station that has the soldering iron with it. While I doubt they would hold up under lots of work, for ocasonial use they work fine. I have had one for a good number of years and it is fine for my hobby work. All of them seem to use the same hot air wand and soldring pencil.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I think so. The display dims and shuts off, and the fan stops. There seems to be a constant stream of air from the heater after turning off, but this may be due to residual heat. The unit remembers the last temperature setting and restores it on power on. The temperature is adjustable in 1 degree F increments. It heats up really fast, within seconds.

It is worth noting the back panel has a label stating the power draw is 100 Watts, but this does not agree with the specification or the large amount of hot air available from the unit. There is a subminiature fuse on the rear panel that is labeled 5A 250V, which might mean it can supply 600 Watts before blowing.

The unit uses zero-voltage switching, which puts less strain on the fuse. This is unlike the random switching used on microwave ovens, which puts a large strain on the fuse so it eventually blows by itself.

I don't know what you would do if the fuse ever blew. It is very small and I have never seen one that small before. The holder has a small cup that the fuse fits into, so you can't simply bridge the fuse with a small piece of fine wire. It might be a useful precaution to order spare fuses from the manufacturer.

I should mention the automatic shutoff may have stopped working on my unit. I don't know if it has really failed, or I just didn't give it enough time to sense the air gun was in the holder. In any case, it does't matter. The unit heats up so rapidly it is a simple matter to turn the power off when I am finished using it. This may actually be the better method when you are working in time and temperature-critical applications.

I am very pleased with the unit. It is invaluable when you need a lot of heat fast in a small area.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Sounds like a soft turn-off, rather than in the line.

I've had such an arrangement melt its trandformer bobbin isolation before blowing any fuses.

It's normal for the fan to keep running after the gun is returned to its holder, but doing so after being turned off is sign of a live circuit.

RL

Reply to
legg

And... Appears to be a "made in china" item as well. :(

Reply to
Anass Luca

I don't know about that model but the China one I have cuts off the heater but lets the fan run for a while agter placing the wand in the holder. When it gets to about 100 deg C the fan cuts off. When you pick it up the fan and heater comes on and shortly it is back up to temperature. Mine has a switch on the front for the air wand and one for the soldering iron. There is one on the back that cuts off all the power to the unit.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yup. We keep ours unplugged when not in use, and switch off all the power bars when there's nobody in the lab.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

the one I have and others I have seen the toggle switch is a hard off, removing the gun from the holder starts the heating, placing the gun back in the holder does a cool down and goes to "off" with ---- in the display when it gets below ~100'C

a master off for the whole workbench is a good idea anyways

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen
[...]

That's what mine does. The fact it seems to have stopped working is a good excuse to take it apart and find out how it works.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Sounds like another fake product promo to me.

Reply to
Flyguy

What's to find out? It's pretty simple. There's a magnet on the hook and a reed switch in the handle.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Like this one?

Seems not much more expensive, but a bit slower to get. Quite compact.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Phooey, I was looking for a simple hot air gun...

"Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

John :-#(#

Reply to
John Robertson

amazon.de is borked. trying to open the link hangs. (Waiting for images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com) I've been trying for a few days now. I can also dimly remember from last time someone posted a covert ad for the thing it did not work either, so it's not a transient fault. (dillo and wget work, but ofcourse javascript...)

Johann Klammer

Try

Steve Wilson

Or even: