Smart meter IR monitor

Anyone know of a kit that will read the IR pulses from a smart meter and convert them into kW?

Reply to
TTman

If the meter reports 1.2 k over the last hour, is that 1.2 kW or 1.2 kWh or 1.2 kWh/h?

Reply to
Ricky

I built a device that allowed me to read data from a non-smart 3-phase meter to the USB port on a PC. It used an infra-red photodetector, a decoder chip and a cheap Chinese serial to USB converter module.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

It's an instantaneous measuremrnt, not 'per hour' etc. So if anything, kw/second.

Reply to
TTman

There is... IEC 629056-21

Reply to
TTman

mine is one blink per Wh I think that is pretty common

afaik there's a few common protocols, some meters are locked but as I understand it the consumption data just with a short pin code that can be bruteforced

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Normally not. Maybe if there was a steady un-changing 1.2 kW drawn over a period of 1 hour. And that WOULD be 1 kW-Hour.

But energy is an accumulation (integration) over time of instantaneous real power, no matter how the instantaneous power changes over that hour... IF you are limiting energy measurement to just 1 hour of course.

You might draw 0.5 kW for 1/2 an hour and then zero for 15 minutes and then 2 kW for the last 15 minutes which would also come out to 1 kW-Hour of energy.

boB

Reply to
boB

I'm only interested in energy right now, this second. Not what happened over the last hour.

Reply to
TTman

This is for monitoring solar array generated power. Slow rate of change..Emlite make a meter that has an IR interface ( fitted in my installation.)

Reply to
TTman

Current smart meters in the UK have complex dual layer encryption and as such are 'tamper proof' by anyone.

Reply to
TTman

Thx, but you miss the point... Solar panel generation is very slow to change. A smart meter in house displa,y showing 'instantaneous' electric data(kW) updates every 10 seconds.

Reply to
TTman

I can look at my solar generation in 2 places in real time ( UK). One is my In House Display the other is the solar generation meter .

Reply to
TTman

They do, but it's in the garage...I want to see the data in my lounge... It's possible I'll be able to see it on an app when the system is fully up and running...

Reply to
TTman

Correct

Reply to
TTman

An instantaneous measurement is no good. It varies on the tune of 50 Hz.

1.2 KWh averaged over the last hour is indeed 1.2 KW.

Groetjes Albert

Reply to
albert

If it are pulses, these are usually visible light. It is printed on the meter what they mean, something like "1000 pulses per imported kWh". It is configurable by the supplier. Data over the IR interface is more complex: the DLMS meters are using a complex protocol, usually ASN.1 over HDLC over 9600 bps serial (see the DLMS "Green Book"). The data that you can access is what the supplier makes available without credentials. Or try the default password 12345678. If you are lucky, the meter has a "Consumer Information Interface",t that sends updated values every second.

Reply to
Wim Ton