SLD920X radar detector/jammer - does it actually work??

In case you'd care to check, the discussion was about defeating law enforcement systems that catch people who are breaking existing laws.

Yes, the laws are wrong, and stupid. I don't argue that. Albeit I do take exception to you equating me to a nut-job. That's Thompson's job. What I argue is, how stupid do you have to be to walk up and spit in the face of a guy who's three times your size, has a gun and a club, and is authorized by the prince to use them on you?

OK, so work towards changing the laws. Admittedly, it's not speed that kills, it's stupidity and negligence.

But in the interim, going and being all in their face isn't the action that gets them to change their mind, is it?

Well, I was talking about an experiment conducted on real roads in real life here. Yeah, if you're on a race track, faster == faster. But if you're breezing through some backwater whistlestop, there are kids who have not yet been trained to stay off the road wif da prose.[sic] And I did say that I had read a "study." The one guy went balls-to-the-walls, the other guy drove gently, and the fast guy only beat the slow guy by a matter of a few minutes - less time than it takes you to finish your beer.

Why do they put speed traps where they put speed traps?

I've even heard that the cops DON'T MIND when the locations of the speed traps are revealed, because "officially" their purpose is to reduce risk; if people slow down to a sane speed during the speed trap, the cops are "officially" just as happy as can be.

Now, given that, if you're up in arms about entrapment, then I'm with you a hunnert[sic] percent. They shouldn't hang out in speedy spots just to nail people. They also shouldn't dress nazis up in drag to entrap lonely old men who are only looking for some companionship. Unfortunately, they _can_ do that, wrong as it is.

In the interim, the pigs are only doing their job, and we all know that jobs are scarce these days, expecially[sic] jobs that pay like a union cop job. And they still have guns and clubs.

AND, now that I proofread, you're not a very good proofreader. "100 MPH would add two days..." um I think you got that ass- backwards. I personally have driven from Minneapolis, MN to Biloxi, MS, in three days, at a rather leisurely pace. I've also driven from So. Cal. to Minneapolis (or its suburbs) more than once - AND BACK! - and an extra mile or two per hour really didn't make all that much of a difference. I once even submitted a "safety slogan": "Strive to Drive to Arrive Alive."

My point is, why go to such great lengths to defeat a system that's intended to deter lawbreakers, when you could back off a little, get there within MINUTES of the target time, and not endanger innocent bystanders - and not set yourself up to get accosted by troops of uniformed goons, each of which is armed with guns, clubs, and mace?

Well, notwithstanding I don't know what "Whay" means, this would resolve to the kind of question that's "baiting", AKA "trolling". I drive my car, but I don't drive my car a thousand miles an hour. I drive, at a sane speed, so there's no need for me to be paranoid about speed traps.

Checkpoints, however...

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

I don't remember the exact specifics here, and the guy who wrote the article could have been a raving lunatic, for all I know, and maybe it was only like fifty miles, from one side of town to the other, but the point was, in traffic, you don't gain that much by driving like a maniac.

I can see removing speed limits for the long stretches, and some states have already done that - I think Montana, and maybe Wyoming, albeit my impression of Wyoming could be that it's more a matter of "why pay some guy to go out into the middle of nowhere to trap speeders?" so they just don't bother -

But the point was about defeating police radar. Why not just drive around?

I guess the point is, (A) it's so simple to breeze by a speed trap - just slow to the legal limit, and (B) the FCC has a thing about transmitters.

--
Thanks,
Rich
Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Jun 2005 17:23:08 GMT:

Dang it, If I knew four people who could do a test like this, I'd do it. It would require a timer at each end of the trip, and two drivers. It obviously couldn't be made "double-blind", but they could go from point A to point B and back with guy 1 in car alpha, and then have guy 1 and 2 switch cars, and then go from point A to point B and back again, with a timer[1] on each end.

Another thing I'd like to do if I won the lottery is hire the blimp, and take aerial videos of traffic patterns. I might throw it up on the board in my "electricity is like water" lecture. ;-P

If an alien in a starship parked at a couple hundred thousand feet, would transit routes look like bloodvessels?

Thanks! Rich

[1] person with a stopwatch. Presumably, this should have 1/60 second accuracy. ;-P
Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

I didn't think they did such silliness since the double-nickel crap. My mini-peekup has a 120MPH speedometer, though I don't think I'm going to test it soon.

The "safe" speed is supposed to be set at the 85th percentile. Other than school-zones and such where the speed may change wrt time, I think this is a rather sane target.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Limiter? What's that, a governor? They actually control how fast you can drive?

I used to have car which had 140km/h (87mph) as the *center* of the speedometer. Top of the speedometer scale was twice that.

Superhighways were (and probably still are) banked for 120mph. But

25mph (40km/h) is a very appropriate top speed in a neighborhood with kids on bikes, scooters, skateboards, inline skates, etc. etc.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

What NG are you strange people posting from?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Pig Bladder

And here, I was thinking that I was to fault here for cross-pollinating.

But interestingly, this time, it wasn't my fault! ;-D

Possibly less interestingly, my news client (pan on Slack) whines at me when I send this crosspost - it seems to think that there are no such NGs as alt.uk.law or uk.rec.driving. Are my posts getting to those NGs even though they're not on my server? (Verizon.net) (The computer doesn't whine about uk.legal .)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Pig Bladder

Richard the Dreaded Libertarian wrote on Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:23:08 GMT:

The fast guy was obviously not very good at going fast.

--
David Taylor
Reply to

Yes, this 1986 Fiero:

It gets me from point A to point B. :-)

Feh. This is just stupid. Or just plain non sequitur. And Williams, your news client doesn't attribute properly.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

C'mon. A speedometer that's got 174 MPH as its highest cal mark? Or was it some yurp dart that went to 280 KPH? I drove a Mercedes once, and it was doing well just to get onto the entrance ramp. What a cow! (I was designated driver, never mind it's an entirely different story).

I've had at least two close calls at this sort of speed, with kids who weren't paying attention and darted out into traffic. It was lucky for everybody that I'm empathic and a little bit clairvoyant, because I somehow knew - I "had a knowing": "There's a kid about to dart out in front of you." I responded to my "knowing", and didn't run over the little bastards. One was facilitated by the ball that came bouncing across the street ("Slow down now, there's a kid behind that ball") and the other was when two skateboarders came shooting from a cross-street, and somehow I knew to slow for the third skateboarder that I somehow knew was on the way. He missed me by inches.

Of course, if you're going to be playing ball or skateboarding on the expressway, then you deserve to be Darwinned. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

That is just so wrong. Plenty of factors would influence the difference in arrival time, unless the 400 mile trip was made in heavy traffic, then the faster guy would arrive a lot earlier than the slow guy more so, if the rolling traffic jams that we call caravans and lorries were taken out of the equation.

--

joeparkinchineseatbtinternetdotcom
Reply to

Why do you think that will prevent you getting nabbed.

During a coast to coast blast in 2003 I encountered a Kansas state trooper sitting in the ditch that is the central reservation (about

100yds wide) on I70. I was in a car with no front plate (CA does require them either) and yet was clocked spot on at 86mph. The police cruisers have both forward and rear facing doppler radar on board.
--
Mark Foster, Brighton, Sussex, UK
E-mail: m.e.fosterREMOVEMEFIRST@sussex.ac.uk

Or slower...at .25 second reaction time, 25 MPH, the vehicle travels about 9 feet before you even begin to react. You can realistically only go so low with this, leaving the rest of the responsibility on the young people you mention.

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

The last time I saw this addy it was Chris P Bacon and it was anthony bournes then too. pete

Reply to
turtill

Wes Stewart wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Why couldn't they use the same 155mph speedo for both cars,but retain the

85mph limiter for the non-rated-tire auto? Why make and stock TWO speedos? Then if you did go buy higher speed-rated tires,the limiter could be reprogrammed to reflect the change.

I Agree.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

If you're really interested in that sort of thing then you could do a lot worse than pick up a copy of "Cannonball! World's Greatest Outlaw Road Race" by Brock Yates.

It's really quite a fascinating read.

--
Mark Foster, Brighton, Sussex, UK
E-mail: m.e.fosterREMOVEMEFIRST@sussex.ac.uk
PGP Fingerprint: 3342 C02C 7BE8 3FE4 AAC5  8BB2 03B7 9263 DDF2 04C1
"There are no such useless words as...\'I didn\'t have a chance.\'"
                                                    [Driving, HMSO]
Reply to
Mark Foster

Sorry about the wrap.

Mark Foster, Brighton, Sussex, UK
E-mail: m.e.fosterREMOVEMEFIRST@sussex.ac.uk
PGP Fingerprint: 3342 C02C 7BE8 3FE4 AAC5  8BB2 03B7 9263 DDF2 04C1
"There are no such useless words as...\'I didn\'t have a chance.\'"
                                                    [Driving, HMSO]
Reply to
Mark Foster

Spehro Pefhany wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It's mostly for lawsuit protection.Keeps people from exceeding the limits of their tires;most people are unaware of such things like speed ratings of their car's tires.

depends on the time of day/night,whether vehicles are parked on the streets,whether any kids are in sight-with a clear sight view of the street,(parked cars prevent this.)and other variables,that people are perfectly capable of judging themselves,if they apply their brains while driving. But I'm not advocating 100 mph on city streets.I've been through a lot of neighborhoods where somewhat higher speeds(maybe 35-40mph) were perfectly safe,and some where I crawl through at 10-15mph,because of poor sight lines,kids around,etc.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Mark Foster wrote in news:m.e.fosterREMOVEMEFIRST-15F438.19444928062005@ptn-nntp- reader03.plus.net:

Uh,we were discussing LASER speed guns.Not radar,for which lack of a front plate has little effect.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

uk.rec.driving We're all really good friends apart from the carping, sniping, piss-taking and name calling. Just one big happy family really, in fact "Mark Foster" and "Conor" are getting married next week and I'm due out of the asylum, errrrr sometime.

Reply to
Brimstone