six extra months of oil

Fortunate bloke. Time to move to North Dakota/Montana?

"An April 2008 USGS report estimated the amount of technically recoverable oil in the Bakken Formation at 3.0 to 4.3 billion barrels, with a mean of 3.65 billion."

U.S. Petroleum Consumption: 20,680,000 barrels/day

3.65E9 bbl / 20.7E6 bpd = 176 days = about 6 months' worth of oil

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Dont worry, we will use it all up ! I think that finds like this all over the USA will keep us minimally going for the next 10 to 20 years. Who knows what 2030 will be like though ? Maybe all cars electric and a nuclear power plant on each street corner.

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

Nuclear power plants sound OK until they get near the end of their lives. When it is time to scrap it out, it is very big trouble.

We have to get the various political types to stop working at cross purposes. Carter put solar panels on the White House. Reagan took them down. What each party does, the other wants to undo.

Reply to
MooseFET

So never shut them down.

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

:>> Dont worry, we will use it all up ! I think that :>> finds like this all over the USA will keep us :>> minimally going for the next 10 to 20 years. Who :>> knows what 2030 will be like though ? Maybe all :>> cars electric and a nuclear power plant on each :>> street corner. :> :> Nuclear power plants sound OK until they get near the end of their :> lives. When it is time to scrap it out, it is very big trouble. : :So never shut them down. : :Lynn

Now, who is living in cloud cuckoo land...?

All nuclear power plants have a use-by-date when they must be decommissioned - around 50 years max. The cost of dismantling makes it economically unviable to tkae this final step so they generally just get mothballed and fenced off. In the final wash-up the cost of opting for nuclear in the first instance doesn't work out to be so attractive. Unless the cost of all phases in the life of any energy generating plant, ie. construction, operation, de-commissioning and dismantling are included in the budget, it is not accurate to say that going nuclear is more cost effective than other options.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Won't work. Lookup "radiation embrittlement" and "neutron induced swelling" with Google. Lots of reasearch on the subject. Basically, the metal in the reactor containment vessel and high pressure plumbing start to become a problem after many years of operation. I think the best than can be done is about a 60 year life. Most of what's around today was designed for 30-40 years. See section titled "Lifetime of nuclear reactors":

Incidentally, one of the advantages of a bebble bed reactor over a conventional water cooled reactor is that there's no embrittlement problem because there's no plumbing in the core.

# 831-336-2558            jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

When the oil runs out, wind and solar are proven woefully inadequate, and hydro is maxed out, it might be the only viable option.

Maybe we should swallow our false pride and just ask Japan and France how they're doing it.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Yep. I wonder how the French handle their spent fuel rods...

On the other hand... some really cool catalysts might be available in spent fuel rods... Technetium-99 is a great catalyst for dehydrating alcohols... Cobalt-60 shows some promise in catalyzing the polymerization of methane to higher hydrocarbons.