Simple one shot connection on timer

I need to activate a machine in x hours after turning on a timer. The machine has tip-touch buttons so I guess I can use the 2 poles of the start-button while leaving the original circuits connected.

Does anybody know what circuit I need for this application?

Regards.

Reply to
weer1

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

This depends on the maschine, but maybe it is possible, e.g. with a transistor, parallel to the button.

If you have power supply, too, you can use an oscillator and some HC4040 or other counters. With a LM555, which generates a 100Hz signal, you can delay more than 40 hours. This is the no-programming solution and useful, if you have already the counters and an oscillator.

Another nice one-chip solution, but more complicated, is to use a MSP430 or PIC microcontroller, which are available with integrated oscillator. I think the assembler program can be written in less than 10 lines. With some more external components you could implement an adjustable delay, e.g. with a potentiometer and the integrated ADC of some microcontrollers, or with a standard digital GPIO by measuring the time needed for charging and discharging a capacitor with a potentiometer.

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

This could work, if the relay is used for switching the buttons, but looks a bit expensive and is not necessary, because the mains power needs not to be switched.

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

You have a style more minimalist than the redacted Raymond Carter.

Unclear whether A) You want a timer circuit, or B) You already have a timer, and you want to know how to connect it to your machine.

If (A), you don't have to spend a lot of money, or do a lot of circuit- building (unless you want to). The surplus houses like

electronics goldmine
etc. often have digital or mechanical timers in stock. Like the digital timer from a Mr. Coffee machine allelectronics had for 5 bucks a while back. People that want to turn on a bathroom heater before they wake up or something like that often will use such surplus timers.

If (B), you should give more information. We know nothing about this machine of yours. Is the "tip-touch" button one of those things that works by capacitance sensing? You might not even have to connect your timer to the button itself, you know. It isn't the button you want to turn on, it's the machine. Anything's possible, until you give us a post with some meat in it.

Reply to
Tolstoy