signup for data sheets

Why do people want you to register and get a password just to see a data sheet? Seems like that's a good way to not sell.

"The easiest thing in the world is to not sell."

- Melvin Goldstein

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Usually stupidity, but sometimes ITAR. Discovery Semi has a deal with the Feds about that, or so I'm told.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

IME, so they can track "interest" as well as WHO's interested.

I routinely create disposable email addresses for these uses; "register" with the "valid" (but not precious) address, use any credentials forwarded to me AT that address to access the thing I'm interested in (demo software, datasheet, tech report, etc.) -- then delete the email account created for that purpose.

Hey, if you want to be a PITA forcing me to go through these hoops, then I can be a PITA and cheat you out of the data/contact that you thought you wanted/needed.

Reply to
Don Y

works pretty well, though they don't have a password for discoverysemi.com at present.

The more folk use it, the better it gets, of course

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I use guerrilla mail for most (very short term) disposables -- open the site, grab the email address, fill out whatever form is requiring the address, wait for the confirmation message to appear on the guerrilla mail site, use the credential provided, close the guerrilla mail page (deleting the temporary address in the process).

[There are a few other similar sites that I use when guerrilla mail addresses are blacklisted. I've also seen bugmenot blacklisted at a few places.]

I also maintain "alias addresses" on some of my normal email accounts. I periodically delete these (and create replacement aliases) to shed any references that folks may have to those addresses. (sometimes, an address is NOT abused by a party requesting it; other times, they start pestering you with solicitations within hours of your disclosing it!)

E.g., I've used these semi-permanent aliases for ecommerce since the pandemic's start -- for grocery stores, amazon, department stores, etc. Target was initially abusive but had an opt out option that they appear to have honored (I don't need for you to tell me about all of your "sales"; if I want something, I'll come looking for it!).

Reply to
Don Y

When I worked in the audio equipment biz the term we had for it was "Sales-prevention tactics" e.g. "I have a customer ready to buy X but distributor Y is engaging in advanced sales-prevention tactics."

Customer wants to buy $3,000 worth of equipment of type X, needs it yesterday and distributor Y will get a good chunk of it if they can process it by the end of the day but nobody on staff at distributor Y at the time is sure if our authorized distributor licensing agreement Z allows this particular deal to go through, and no one's on hand to make the call on it.

The audio equipment retail world at the time (15 yrs ago) was a world of convoluted retailer/distributor/manufacturer authorization contracts and endless price-fixing. I expect Amazon has wiped the floor with a lot of the small retailers, now.

Reply to
bitrex

To deal with the spam potential I either use a spam catcher email address or I create an email address specific for them. Like snipped-for-privacy@arius.com Then if I start getting spam to that address I know who gives out addresses... Most don't, Xilinx did.

I don't mind sharing email addresses with reputable vendors. They are essentially partners in my business. I can't design stuff without their products and support.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

That's child's play compared to how servers/storage/network gear quotes work. If you get a quore from VAR xyz, you're locked to them for 90 days or some other time frame and nobody else is even allowed to provide a second quote. They really won't either. They won't always catch on if you use fake/variation names etc though.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Absolutely right. And until I have read their data sheets and decided to design in their stuff - they're not my partner yet and I don't want them to take liberties with my contact details. I'm easy enough to find if they want me for something.

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Le lundi 26 octobre 2020 15:40:01 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com