Signal Integrity for PCB Designers

Hello friends, Here is the tutorial on Signal Integrity available for free online.

This tutorial is intended for printed circuit board designers who wish to get an insight into the design of High Speed Digital PCBs. If you have some more question about this tutorial or Si in general, you may hit the "I need Help" on top left and someone should be able to contact and give you custom answer.

Reply to
Additya

Additya Inscribed thus:

Very basic text book stuff. Pity about the spelling mistakes ! Makes it look a bit amateurish.

--
Best Regards:
                Baron.

I disagree about there being a problem when traces cross different power pours, and the need for "stitching capacitors". I also don't see why an ordinary board would need two ground planes.

And I agree with the observation that content/spelling/grammar errors don't look good here.

John

Are there any books on high speed digital that you would recommend? You've said that about 1/2 of Howard Johnson's book is good and the other half...less than good. But not being an expert I will have a more difficult time separating the wheat from the chaff. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Brooks' book on signal integrity is about as mixed a bag as HoJo's. At least he admits he doesn't understand some things, whereas HoJo is supremely confident even when he's dead wrong.

Brooks' chapter on tx line impedance formulas is shockingly bad. He also parrots the usual silly stuff about return currents.

Bogatin's signal integrity book is probably the best. He raves on about return currents at length, but does generally come to the right practical conclusions. His book is loaded with good, practical stuff.

One thing I did, starting out, was to buy a bunch of microwave junk at flea markets and examine how it was made. And I got a TDR scope and started hacking FR4 with x-acto knives, to see what really mattered.

John