Low(ish) profile 'off the shelf' CBCT

Hi, I have an application, where I need to sense AC current imbalance between two lines. Perfect application for a CBCT. The wires themselves carry a reasonably high voltage (at moments, in excess of 3KV), so my 'prototype', has a Teflon block going through the transformer, with the two wires positioned in this (giving both good position stability, and insulation). Now, my problem is the size of the CBCT. There are readily available toroids, with hole sizes from perhaps 35mm and up. However I have a height limit over the board, which is making this unuseable. What I'd like to find, is something like a rectangular CBCT, with a central hole perhaps

25mm wide, and a relatively low total height (not exceeding 50mm to the top of the winding), that is available 'off the shelf' (the run size is small, so doesn't warrant a custom transformer). Perhaps 500:1 ratio (though the circuit can be adjusted to handle a wide tolerance here), and peak current rating doesn't need to exceed 1A. I am in the UK, so a UK source would be preferred. Searches of the normal component manufacturers find lots of larger toroids, and a few rectangular designs, and a general Google search, gives lots of companies able to make custom units, but nothing visible 'off the shelf'. So, has anyone any pointers to a supplier stocking items like this?.

Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

Roger:

Does your 'CBCT' relate to a standard Current Transformer?

We have got some small CT's at work, I am working at home on a PCB today but can pop round lunchtime and see what size and spec they are.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Sorry, 'CBCT', standard abbreviation, for 'core balance current transformer'. They differ slightly from the normal current transformers, being designed to give relatively high gains from the imbalance of current in two (or more) wires. Generally they give high outputs, for small imbalances, against a normal 'current transformer', which usually gives quite a low output current for a large input. :-) They standard application, is the RCCB, which is normally based on these.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

OK, many thanks for the clarification. I think the ones we have are standard, but there are also some LEM/HEME types as well. I'll still have a dig through and report back.

Peter

Peter A Forbes