ROHS Myths

I am emphatically in favor of agressive government intervention when and where appropriate. This does not seem to be one of those cases.

Does anyone have any definitive information about whether the lead from tin/lead solder leaches into the ground water?

By the way, the growth of tin whiskers has been known at least as long as tin organ pipes have existed.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

It certainly is NOT a myth that ROHS solder is harder to use, and causes many, many more failed connections than original solder.

Reply to
NewsGroups

What's your experience with it ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I've dealt with it quite a bit, the joints look dull, they're far more prone to cracking, touching them up with regular solder doesn't work, I have to suck off the old solder and start over. Even then it doesn't make as nice a joint as tin/lead stuff on old style component leads.

Reply to
James Sweet

Agreed on every point. And my experience is that I repair equipment built with the rotten stuff, every day of my working life ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily