Semi OT: EV Charging

I guess it is possible to live without home charging then - *if* the supercharger is possible to get onto reliably without a long wait... You could stake the place out at random times to ascertain that.

A half hour sitting up there either shopping (is it part of a mall?) or doing some laptop stuff isn't too bad if it's twice a week or so. Would not fancy that every day though.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Gas plus electric may be the answer. Electric for stop and go, gas for the highway and to recharge. Most companies are working on concept cars to meet future mileage requirements. Here's one from BMW that may give over 500mpg:

ept/

Going to the extremes, mileage competitions can produce truly astounding figures. Quote:

"Students from Canada have designed and built a car that is capable of achieving a fuel efficiency of 2,098 mpg (0.11 l/100km). The team from Quebec's Universite Laval (University of Laval) was competing in the 36th SAE Supermileage competition. It is the university's second straight win at the event.

This year, the The University of Laval's car achieved a fuel efficiency of 2,098 mpg (0.11 l/100km)

The University of Laval has actually won the competition five times in the past eight years. Indeed, in previous years its Alerion Supermileage team has achieved even higher fuel efficiency figures, including 2,488 mpg (0.09 l/100km) in 2010 and 2,757 mpg (0.09 l/100km) in 2009.

The world's most fuel efficient vehicle, ETH Zurich's hydrogen-powered PAC-Car II, which achieved 12,666 mpg (0.02 l/100km) in 2005.

PAC-Car II website:

Tom Swift

VW,

VW Up or its twins SEAT Mii, Skoda Citigo

interestingly it is almost exactly the same as the original VW rabbit mk1 but ~150kg heavier

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

That's not a real car:

"The engine base utilized is a 3.5 HP (2.61 kW) Briggs & Stratton four stro kes single cylinder lawn mower engine, "It is not a well know engine base, but it was something we had to work with if we wanted to take part in SAE c ompetition in Michigan as it is the main requirement," said Bouchard. "We a lso had a small motorcycle head and we put the two together. We then used a djusted sleeves, an adjusted connecting rod and an adjusted crankshaft."

To increase control of the amount of fuel that goes into the combustion cha mber, Bouchard and his team replaced the magneto lighting and carburetor wi th electric lighting and a fuel injection system. "It is what helped us th e most," said Bouchard. "I will say that with a carburetor you cannot go ov er 2000 mpg, it is impossible. But with a fuel injection you can control a lot more of the amount of fuel that goes into the engine, and that was the key to success if you want to go further with a drop of fuel."

Despite the fact the engine can propel the car at approx 31 mph, the team f or efficiency reasons maintained the prototype at 19 mph using the engine a t full throttle only part of the way and utilizing the aerodynamic aspects of the car to continue. "

So they only burn fuel getting it up to speed and then it is doing little m ore than idling to maintain it. This another one of those fake engineering student contests.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

You folks sure dodged that mess.

Reply to
krw

It has to be the only sane decision we have made with respect to the whole EU thing.

Sure it's nice being able to trade freely[1] and wander around without fuss - but there are plenty of downsides - the amount of s**te that comes out of Brussels that gets rubber-stamped into English[2] law is rediculous - and I'm not talking about bananas that are not bendy enough...

[1] Except they have messed that up with cross border VAT (purchase tax) stuff that now means its hard work for small businesses to trade across borders as they have to account for sales by member state. [2] English as the Scots and the Irish and to some extent the Welsh have variations in their statutes, the Scots most so.
Reply to
Tim Watts

VW,

Good timing for a day when crude drop 8% to around $52. Crude costs around $1 per gallon. 300% mark up for government fees, environmental costs and profits.

Perhaps we need cars that run on crude.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

The VW Bunny?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Only a fraction of crude oil is usable as a motor fuel, and it's a hassle to transport and separate it.

I think it's amazing that you can buy gasoline for less than the price of carbonated water. Or plain water, in many cases.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

A fairly high percentage can be made into motor fuel (either gas or diesel) and nothing goes to waste.

When I pour water in the same sorts of quantities as gasoline it's a

*lot* cheaper. I can't imagine covering my lawn with a couple of inches of gasoline. ;-)
Reply to
krw

Like this one?

krw

I would just say that most people won't be charging their car from empty so a full charge will take less and maybe a lot less time. IIRC a LEAF has a range of something over 100km but most peoples daily commute is under

40km
Reply to
David Eather

esel VW,

.

ound $1 per gallon. 300% mark up for government fees, environmental costs and profits.

And it does not seem too difficult. Gasoline can be recovered by heating c rude up to 100C and the "waste" can be further refined into other fuels.

It might be too complicated for cars, but certainly doable for trucks.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

YES!!

Reply to