who made it?

I'm trying to run down the cognizant company today who made the Voyager LORAN units. Was it Micrologic? If so, I may be out of luck there, because I can't find any Micrologic footprints.

Reply to
RB

I'm not familiar with a Voyager brand/model, or Loran units in general, other than I have a couple of old Si-Tex/Koden Loran C marine units. It might help if you described the unit better, as to whether it's for marine or aviation use. I suppose you could be referring to an old vintage unit, or something more recent.

If you're examining the internal components, you might look for four digit date codes on the board(s) or ICs, and any trademarks or logos. A 8950 code would signify that the part was produced in the 50th week of 1989. That would more-or-less indicate that the unit is a 1990 or newer model.

Then I had a look at ebay auctions (often helpful when search engines aren't)

One of the manuals shows the Micrologic name.

Cheers WB .................

because

Wild Bill

Yes, it was Micrologic. Bay Country Electronics at 4 Dock St., Annapolis, Maryland, 410/263-3000 does repairs, but replacement parts for some items (like the LCD panel) are NLA.

Why would you want to repair a 16 year old piece of electronics, anyway. Especially with LORAN's poor performance relative to GPS and with the system barely escaping federal decommissioning five years ago. I doubt that it will survive past 2010.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Good question about repair. Not wanting to repair one.

Just wandering if this Voyager does indeed let you connect the antenna direct to the unit without going through a coupler.

Many of those vintage LORANs used external active couplers between the unit and the antenna.

Guy on Ebay is selling a Voyager without a coupler, and says his antenna connects directly to the unit. Maybe so. Just curious, and thought I'd check with the mfr, if that wasn't too difficult----which it seems to be turning into.

But, I can probably check it with Bay County Electronics. Thanks for that lead.

Reply to
RB

You CAN connect an antenna directly to the receiver. Be aware that there should be some power on the antenna connector to power the "coupler". Most Loran antennas had an amplifier included which was powered over the coax cable. Without the amplifier you will need a larger antenna. Use a capacitor to connect the antenna to the Loran.

Cheers Bill k7NOM

Reply to
Bill Janssen