Selecting Embryos For Higher IQ

"romance" I should say. Some men in those arrangements are able to delude themselves sufficiently that it isn't what it actually is, too. "She likes me for me"

Reply to
bitrex

I remember a friend who discovered the term "Girl Friend Experience" and thought it strange that anyone would want a hooker to act like a girlfriend. He wanted a girl friend who would give the hooker experience... lol

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

:

n, but instead opt for this embryo selection by polygenic scoring.

-here/

term intellectually disabled, is half step away from offering to find the h ighest IQ in the batch.

..

ly

smart

r.

an

with

ars

t modern society selects for intelligence, and smarter people are more like ly to get married and have kids - there's clearly fairly vigorous evolution ary selection going on in the relevant bits of the genome (granting that we aren't too sure what those bits are actually doing for intelligence/social success or whatever).

hat

ation

al effects turned out to be kids shaping their environment to suit their ta lents.

high

effect - it's down at the 0.1% level and below. Plomin thinks that the rel evant single nucleotide polymorphism identified so far each have an effect of the order of o.1% or less, and the ones that remain to be identified wil l have less (so you need large samples of people - in the millions - to be able to pull them out).

ters > > > > > understand him.

y of ways.

e clever people, but clever people can certainly be clever in very differen t ways.

near the place.

en Haiti and Dominican Republic in just about every aspect of their so-call ed societies, considering all other things remain equal among the usual exc uses for this kind of disparity.

having enough to eat is a precondition for growing up taller.

here child mortality is low. In place like Haiti and Cameroon lose respecti vely 71.7 and 84 children from 0 to 5 per 1000, while the Dominican Republi c loses 29.9.

fairly typical for the advanced industrial countries where intelligence is about 80% heritable.

ritable in less well-off countries, because not getting enough to eat makes you grow up short, skinny and dumb.

comes to making sense of these kinds of statistics. By heritable IQ I take it you mean a full realization of their potential IQ endowed at birth, ver sus damaged potential due to environmental factors. That does not help you out a whole lot when the fully realizable potential is deficient to begin w ith.

The proposition that any "racial" group is deficient to begin with isn't ev idence-based.

"The Bell Curve" argued that the IQ tests it relied on demonstrated that bl ack Americans had lower IQ's than their white neighbours.

"Inequality by Design" looked at the same data more carefully and noticed t hat the black Americans scored lower because they skipped large chunks of t he test, and went on to point out that lower-caste people in a variety of c ultures rapidly learn not to do too well in tests that compared them with t heir upper-caste neighbours.

What the Bell Curve observed was lower scores on IQ tests. What it failed t o observe was that lower scores were different in nature between the two gr oups.

This is the kind of mistake people make when they find a result they like.

oo and who are too stupid to be taught to farm, who have created this horre ndous excuse of a place. But it's not their fault, it's the fault of this h orrendous place they created.

American society is less than ideal, and the influence of the religious rig ht looks very like voodoo to external observers.

Farmers are notoriously resistant to being taught how to farm better by out siders, and in Australia the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Researc h Organisation spent an appreciable amount of money on sociologists in orde r to work out an effective strategy to get farmers to use modern yield-impr oving schemes - which turned out to be to concentrate on the smartest farme r in the area, on the basis that once he or she got better yields, their ne ighbours were very likely to copy them.

Quite how an American farmer would improve their crop yields if they didn't believe in evolution is an interesting question - though hypocritically ig noring the mechanism that gave then higher-yielding crops is the kind of bh avior for which the religious right is famous.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Ya. Even prostitution has "marketing-speak", that phrase is a way the worker markets themselves as not-really-a-pro just a part-timer who's "not like the other girls", not high-pressure-move-it-out I have another client coming, which is a thing some men will pay for.

There's a large grey area between the kind of romantic relationships most people do, dating aps, "hookup apps", sorta-sex-work, part-timers, and turning tricks on the corner.

When I was a single man I met a couple women from dating app who were clearly looking for payment though didn't state that explicitly. but that was the exception not the rule.

Reply to
bitrex